PCWorld |. Copyright © 2020 IDG Communications, Inc. Lenovo's flagship business laptop, the ThinkPad X1 Carbon, has reached its 8th generation, and the latest model continues to push at the boundaries of performance and portability. The carbon fiber top cover that helps lighten the ThinkPad X1 Carbon comes in basic, painted black on all models, or a pricier Weave version that shows off the underlying material. The eight-core AMD CPU of the ThinkPad T14s dominated these events, but even as a Core i5 going up against Core i7's, the X1 Carbon did very well. When the newest models start shipping later in 2020 with starting price of $1,499, these corporate laptops will offer Intel's 10th-generation Comet Lake CPUs fortified with vPro security. https://www.zdnet.com/product/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-8th-gen As noted earlier, Lenovo claims 19.5 hours of battery life for the high-capacity 51Wh battery, which I suspect would be a bit of a stretch to achieve in everyday use. Note in particular the many display choices, and that ethernet is available only via external dongle (as is true for prior generations, due to the slender chassis): CPU: Intel 10th-gen (Comet Lake) Core i5 and Core i7, including vPro versions and the 6-core Core i7-10710U. Although I didn't test all of these aspects, I can say that the chassis feels robust, with just a slight amount of give in the lid. There's a 720p webcam above the screen with IR and Lenovo's ThinkShutter, a manual slider that covers the camera lens. An impressively strong showing by the Dell, but a solid, middle-of-the-pack finish for the ThinkPad X1 Carbon here. Lenovo's trademark TrackPoint sits in its usual home between the G, H and B keys, and there's a three-button array between the space bar and the touchpad for use with it. An X1 insignia below the lid's diagonal ThinkPad logo is the only change in the familiar matte-black design. Other options include a 4K, 500 nits glossy IPS panel with HDR400 and Dolby Vision, or an FHD anti-glare touch screen with 400 nits brightness. Though the lightest of Lenovo's three 14-inch business notebooks (under the 2.8-pound ThinkPad T14s and 3.2-pound ThinkPad T14), the Carbon isn't the lightest on the market; the Asus ExpertBook B9450 is just 1.91 pounds. With stacks of as-you-like-it configuration options, it picks up PCMag Editors' Choices as regularly as punching a time clock. ThinkShutter is a physical slider to block your laptop's camera from being used to spy on you. Maybe year we'll get to review a fancy loaded version. Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Carbon continues to evolve, and remains an excellent ultraportable laptop for business users. However, that 19.5 hours seems rather hopeful. The memory and storage ceilings are 16GB and 1TB respectively; Lenovo.com's price for a maxed-out Core i7-10610U system with the 4K screen is $2,378. ThinkPad PrivacyGuard, for instance, can both shield your display from prying eyes, and alert you if someone is trying to peek at your display. This isn't consistent across all the preconfigured models, so double-check if you want it. Nor is it cheap, though it's not outrageously overpriced; a couple of hundred bucks over the ultraportable going rate seems a fair amount to pay for one of the finest, if not the finest, laptop experiences on the planet. As noted, the Dell XPS 15 is 18mm thick while the ThinkPad X1 Carbon 8th Gen is slimmer at 14.9mm. Fine details are as sharp as the 1080p resolution permits and viewing angles are broad. You can spend between £1,141.66 (ex. Melissa Riofrio spent her formative journalistic years reviewing some of the biggest iron at PCWorld--desktops, laptops, storage, printers. https://in.pcmag.com/laptops/138560/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-gen-8-2020 There is an NFC touch point built into it, and a fingerprint sensor to its right. The Fn key row now includes a pair of keys for making calls -- handy for those of us who are spending most of the time working remotely. In the US, prices start at $1,331.40 and top out at $2,207.40. By Not all options are listed below -- just the least and most expensive, and my review unit, which falls between the two at £1,399.99 (ex. Two upward-firing tweeters and two downward-firing woofers pump out above-average sound, with plenty of volume and a modest amount of bass; highs and midtones are clear and it's easy to distinguish overlapping tracks. The Dell XPS 15 I reviewed recently packs a 15.6-inch screen into a chassis measuring 344mm wide by 230mm deep by 18mm thick. Both are DirectX 11 benchmarks, but Sky Diver is more suited to laptops and midrange PCs, while Fire Strike is more demanding and lets high-end PCs and gaming rigs strut their stuff. The 14-inch display is nice and sunny as long as you stick to the top couple of brightness settings, with good contrast and satisfactory if not dazzling white backgrounds. Also, the 15.6-inch XPS 15 weighs 1.8kg, while the ThinkPad X1 Carbon 8th Gen has a much more bag-friendly starting weight of 1.09kg. Typing feel is swift and snappy, a bit shallow but with good tactile feedback. Read our, Learn more about PCWorld's Digital Editions, Full HD (1920x1080) touch or non-touch, 400 nits' maximum brightness, Full HD IPS touch with PrivacyGuard and 500 nits' maximum brightness, WQHD (2560x1440) IPS with 300 nits' maximum brightness, HDR 400 UHD (3840x2160) with 500 nits' maximum brightness.