A large heatproof pan, a sharp knife or ‘lame’ to slash the dough with, Ingredients: Vanessa, THANK YOU for sharing this wonderful receipe. X. I understand your recipe but I have arthritic hands and cannot knead by hand but have a machine with a dough hook, can you give me any hints, tips please. However, when I used today a MasonCash terracotta base with a dome to create a bigger loaf, the dough seems to loose it’s shape when transfering out of the proofing basket. When you see the bubbles, you have captured wild yeast. Thanks! Happy baking. Place your cloche or baking stone in the oven and a large pan of boiling water underneath (or use a Dutch oven). Help!! Also, with your Friday night recipe, is the salt correct? Hello Henrietta, you have probably over proved the dough. Thank you ! I’ve an experienced sourdough baker but recently has a few failures. Is this due to overproofing or what could be the reason? Hello again, Silly question, but should this be strong wholemeal flour or just regular wholemeal? I am a sourdough newbie but managed to produce a very acceptable boule using your recipe. Your basic recipe on the website suggests 220C initially. Do I feed it, leave it out for a few hours to bubble then scoop 2 tablespoons out, to be combined with the 50g of flour and 50g water for the leaven? King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour - 3 lb. Leave in a glass bowl on your counter (if it’s a cold winter’s night, you may want to leave it close to a … To avoid scorching the bottom I put a layer of dried chickpeas on the bottom of the Dutch oven for the bread to rest on. The levee based on my starter (just 2-3 weeks old) was quite active (2-3 times in two hours), and the only thing I was forced to change was that I baked directly from the Dutch oven that I put in the fridge for 8h. Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough. 2 clean tea towels Although you might want to reduce the baking time. Glad you have been making wonderful bread! There is a lot to learn with sourdough and we cover all of this and more in the Sourdough Club. I can only get my hands on whole-meal flour now, I have a little strong white flour left, and quite a lot of self-raising flour, what adjustments would you suggest to the basic recipe itself? I’d love to see a photo if you fancy sending one? Without a starter at peak condition the dough will not be fermenting correctly. Can’t wait for loaf #2! Allow the dough to rise, in a lightly greased, covered bowl, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes. So thank you for that Just a couple of questions please: I’m trying the Marino Soffiata Type 00 flour next as I’d like a lighter, less dense loaf for sandwich type bread but worried about lack of flavour. Costco Natural & Organic Price List Update, Complete List of Healthier-for-You Recipes, Starting a Blog? this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have came upon till now. can you help me? Having made “normal” bread many times I found it hard to believe there was no kneading required, but hey it works. You are a joy. Happy baking. Broadly speaking, the yeast produces gas (carbon dioxide) which leavens the dough, and the lactic acid bacteria produce lactic acid, which contributes flavor in the form of sourness. This helps my hands to be cleaner. Yes, I refresh it every day. IN fact any starter .. just make sure you make a leaven! I just wish I could post a photo. Hi Roger it was the person that wrote in that killed their starter. New! Learn to bake this sourdough on our online course. Leave in a warm place to rise for 3 hrs. The book had to accommodate the fact that many professional bakers use it. If less often, keep the starter in the fridge, feed it once a week, then leave it at room temperature for 24 hours. Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here. I have tried 220 for about 25 min and then 15 – 20 mins at 180. Many thanks. I then set the bread maker on an 8 hour delay. I have a cloche but my problem is oven temperatures. Hi Floor – you sound like you are most definitely over proving your bread. You don’t need to aggressively knead it. With just three ingredients you can create the best sourdough bread you will have ever tasted. It is relatively dry to the touch. Thank you. The boule recipe makes a leaven using this starter at a different ration because this is a leaven for a retarded loaf. Well perhaps try baking for less time .. If so do I need to adjust anything to work with a rye starter? So 1 tablespoon – 25g would be approx 50g? « WinCo Wednesdays 4/17/12 Good Apple Prices & More! Sorry to hear about the ceramic hob…. I am slowly working my way through your book, but when things don’t go quite right I always rebuild my confidence with this recipe. You do not want the dough to tear when stretching and folding – treat it really gently. I was wondering what you thought of the coil technique v the stretch and fold. Craig, not silly – to is bread making flour so yes strong flour. Good to hear you are gaining confidence and practicing making dough. It’s been going strong for one year. On Womsns Hour this morning you mentioned you killed off your starter with moving house – what/how did you make your new “starter” ? Afternoon Vanessa. x. Hello, can I prove for 4 hours in a warm room instead of the fridge. If you read the recipe the dough is not mixed straight form the fridge. 400g organic strong white flour 25g rice flour mixed with 25g of stone-ground white flour (for dusting your banneton) Always try to use your starter when it is ‘hungry’ (has not been fed for 24 hours). Vx. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and let it rise for 45 to 60 minutes, until puffy but not necessarily doubled in bulk. Thank you that’s really helpful. V. I notice your recipe fails to mention whether the dough is brought to room temperature before baking or is placed in the oven right out of the refrigerator and still cold? I’ve bought a 2lb capacity banneton so should I increase the measurements by 50% or will the 1lb dough be ok in the banneton? This may be a really silly questions but, does this recipe need a 500g or 1kg banneton to prove in? .. as the hydration is tempered by the wholemeal. I have been keeping my starter out of the fridge as I tend to bake every day. Fill a small roasting tin with a little water and place this in the bottom of the oven to create steam. I am not guilty of such a crime of neglect! Hard to tell about your questions as I am nit in your kitchen and have no idea of your ambient temperature of flour .. but have a go! Combine 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water in the glass container and cover it with the cheesecloth. Just got into making bread at home and have now discovered sourdough and was wondering if instead of baking in an oven if it can be made in a breadmaker? Is it as simple as just not proofing for as long? and am in the process of making my very first sourdough using your recipe for both the starter and bread, my fingers and toes are crossed for the end result! I may have missed it somewhere but do the temperature settings 220 and 180 apply to fan or non fan ovens. It is the weight of the dough that counts. How did you start/make your new starter to your old recipe ? I’ll give it ago but just wanted some newbie reassurance. I used to use a bread maker about 8 years ago when I have three children under the age of 4! I am smiling .. what a lovely comment. Earn points and unlock extra abilities: Members with 50+ points can Swap Starters; Members with 100+ points receive a free ebook; Members with 1000+ points receive a free banneton; About Super educational! I was trying your recipe before investing in a Cloche. Can you point me in the direction of yours please? You can buy them from cookshops or online at. You would, however have to check the size of your bread maker and adjust accordingly. Is it okay to let the bread proof in the fridge longer than 12 hours? Happy baking. There are many basic sourdough recipe posts online, some good and some not so good, but baking a beautiful loaf is about more than just the practical external factors. This decides where the bread will tear as it rises. Thanks for the great resource. On day 7, the starter should be quite bubbly and smell much sweeter. Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves, two 10" to 11" logs.