Barbara, No ruler is perfect. Yes, we do need to respect authority and to treat others as we would like to be treated. . Jesus Christ shall subdue the Gentiles; he shall bring them as sheep into the fold, not for slaughter, but for preservation. Pinned this, my friend! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Our church has read through large chunks of the Old Testament over the last year. Sometimes we have to cling to that hope, when circumstances dismay or frustrate. I agree, Lisa. God rules the nations. ( Log Out /  Authorities come from God, even when they are not godly, even when we don’t agree with everything they do. Reflections on Old Testament Prophets (Zephaniah), 07. He is seated on his holy throne. God reigns over the heathen: God sits on the throne of his holiness. But ultimately, He is on the throne working out His perfect will. Psalm 47:8 (NIRV) 2 Ihr Völker alle, klatscht in die Hände; jauchzt Gott zu mit lautem Jubel! Emmylou Harris—QUARTER MOON IN A TEN CENT TOWN, Responses to Ted Grimsrud’s essay on “Academic Freedom”, 55. Psalm 47:8 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Psalm 47:8, NIV: "God reigns over the nations; God is seated on his holy throne." Understand the meaning of Psalms 47:8 using all available Bible versions and commentary. God reigns over the heathen: God sits on the throne of his holiness. Jesus’ Death and the Powers: Political Authoritarianism (Empire), 13. 12. God is king over the nations. The disciples still preached in the name of Jesus when told not to. God reigns over the nations; God sits on his holy throne. The world is full of “kings” and “nations” who try to subdue others under them. Psalm 47:8 (WEB) We so need to keep relationships in mind. Psalm 47:8 (NRS) We still have a voice. God reigneth over the nations: God sitteth upon his holy throne. Unmoved he occupies an undisputed throne, whose decrees, acts, and commands are holiness itself. Richard and Linda Thompson—POUR DOWN LIKE SILVER, 81. Psalm 47:8 (NKJV) 9  The princes of the people are gathered together, even the people of the God of Abraham: for the shields of the earth belong unto God: he is greatly exalted. They may not see all sides of an issue or may be getting bad advice, so it’s important to be aware of issues and communicate our concerns and preferences. It is not an acceptable service, if it is not a reasonable service. God hath reigned over nations, God hath sat on His holy throne, Compiled & Edited by BST & Crosswalk Staff, Compiled & Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff, Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Concise), Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Now, in Psalm 47 God says to those same people: ‘Rejoice and be happy; the King of Israel is also the King of all the Earth.’” (Boice) Second chance for people of promise (Ezra 3:1-13), 4. Your words are such a good reminder to lean into God no matter the outcome and trust Him. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Psalm 47:8 (YLT) Revealing a New World: Power According to Biblical Apocalyptic, 11. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Psalm 47 is one of those many Old Testament passages that does not exactly interpret itself. I too have never seen such negativity and meanness in these two elections. 3 Denn der HERR, der Allerhöchste, ist zu fürchten, ein großer König über die ganze Erde. Verses 5-9 Praise is a duty in which we ought to be frequent and abundant. God sitteth upon the throne of his holiness; or his holy throne, which is heaven; on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; on his Father's throne; having done his work on earth he is received up into heaven, and is set down on a throne at the right hand of God, an honour which none of the angels have: he has ceased from his work and entered into his rest, and sits and sees of the travail of his soul; all which is matter of joy to his people, and a reason why they should sing praises; and the rather, since they are set down with him in heavenly places: or this may be understood of his sitting on the throne of judgment to judge the world in righteousness at the last day, it following upon his reign over the Gentiles; though the other sense best agrees with his immediate ascension to heaven. Popularity rankings are based on search volume data from the Google AdWords Keyword Planner tool. Maltbie D. Babcock, This Is My Father’s World, (Sharing with Sunday Scripture, Selah, Scripture and a Snapshot, Inspire Me Monday, Hearth and Soul, Senior Salon, Remember Me Monday, Tell His Story, Purposeful Faith, InstaEncouragement, Recharge Wednesday, Let’s Have Coffee, Heart Encouragement), Grace and Truth, Faith on Fire, Blogger Voices Network). Salem Media Group. Willis Alan Ramsey—WILLIS ALAN RAMSEY, 88. 1. clap . Yes, I agree, Barbara. Biblical Apocalyptic: What is Being Revealed? praises with understanding--literally, "sing and play an instructive (Psalm)." Robert Earl Keen—A BIGGER PIECE OF SKY, Agnostic, Atheist Votes Matter in November. Psalm 47:8 (TMBA) Psalm 47:8 (GNT) The Rolling Stones—THE BEGGAR’S BANQUET, 58. [An answer from 1976]. God reigneth over the heathen; God sitteth upon the throne of His holiness. Pingback: Bible Studies on the Old Testament God « Peace Theology, hi!,I really like your writing so so much! How we understand the meaning of the psalm will be greatly affected by how we understand it in relation to the rest of the Bible. Just as God used good and bad kings in the OT, he will use good and bad rulers in this present day. Bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. Psalm 47:8 (GW) What other throne is like this? Everything else may be falling apart- but we have a rock, a fortress, an advocate in Jesus!