God is not only the Creator, but he is involved in his creation. Understood in this way, “mountains” likely refers to the mountains of Zion, thereby creating an “emphatic confession of YHWH as the God present” on Zion, the mountain of God. A: It’s not a promise that all the physical problems associated with our situation will be automatically erased, but that He will reinforce our spiritual character so that we will not “slip” in our faith and walk during these times. No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains. Throughout the Bible the sun and the moon are used to represent rulers or powers over the physical environment. Occurring six times in the final three strophes, the verb shamar (‘to guard,’ ‘to protect,” or ‘to watch’) is translated by the NIV as “watch.” However, Tucker explains, “the watchful care of Yahweh must not be limited to passive observation; rather, Yahweh ‘watches’ over Israel by providing protection” (732). 1–2; 3–4; 5–6; 7–8): The first strophe provides an overarching thematic claim for the entire psalm, namely, the Lord will be the psalmist’s helper. 19 By standing firm you will gain life.” (Luke 21:16-19) In other words even in betrayal or death the believer still comes out on top. (731–732). If you have any questions, please review our. And that means you do not need to worry or to be afraid of anything. The Westminster Confession of Faith gives us a beautiful description of God’s providence: “God, the great Creator of all things, doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by his most wise and holy providence, according to his infallible foreknowledge, and the free and immutable counsel of his own will, to the praise of the glory of his wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy.” (Westminster Confession, V, 1). On what are your eyes and thoughts fixed? Nebuchadnezzar was a powerful king of Babylon who reigned from about 605 BC until around 562 BC. No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains. Click here for more messages from the book of. A: This Psalm is not just an affirmation for this part of our life in Christ while on earth, but for our entire life with Him in eternity. The Beatles used to sing: “I get by with a little help from my friends.” The commercial for the Lifeline product carries the tagline: “Help! There is no higher expert to assist us than the Creator Who obviously knows every detail of what the situation is, as well as the precise solution. By submitting your ... Get expert commentary on biblical languages, fresh explorations in theology, hand-picked book excerpts, author videos, and info on limited-time sales. He’s got the whole world in his hands. He watches over every aspect of your life Are you looking high enough? Thanks for visiting! As the authors further explain, “Some interpreters refer t… Q: To the people living during Old Testament times—even until recently in history—what would “your going out and your coming in” mean to them? We call God’s power over all creation his providence. Do you wonder if God slumbers, why He doesn’t act as quickly as you would like or deem necessary? Conversely, a God who stands over all as Creator yet fails to intervene personally remains equally problematic. This is God’s world, and God’s providence means that nothing can happen to you outside of God’s will and providential care. He guards you when you leave and when you return, 1 Sam 2:9; Ps 127:1; Prov 3:23, 26; Is 27:3. The images in the last three strophes of the psalm function as reminders that such sojourns are fraught with peril, whether it is getting lost along the way (v. 3a), being beaten down by natural forces (v. 6), or simply the more generalized notion of “harm” (v. 7a) that could beset any traveler. And then finally, 3) the LORD will keep you from all harm. The Study Bookmark for Psalms 107-150 (Book V): [ view sample ] 1 per page [ pdf ] 4 per page [ pdf ] Introduction. Download the Study Notes:[ pdf | • | docx ], Group Handout: I am praying according to Christ’s model in the Lord’s Prayer and God’s promise here in Psalm 121. He watches over every transition in your life And then we have the wonderful promise at the end of verse 8: “The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” (Psalm 121:8) God is watching over you now, and he will continue to watch over you forever. In reality, we are on a journey preparing us for eternal life in His presence. He has all the resources and more to meet your every need. A Song of degrees. It is a name that speaks of God’s covenant relationship with his people and his faithfulness to them. God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also. 2 No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, and mountains. The Creator is your helper. will neither slumber nor sleep. The creation reflects the Creator. The God of Israel is your protector. Of course, God is that source, “but to speak it is one thing, to believe it is another. B. With that goal in mind, Tucker cites how James Limburg calls Psalm 121 “A Psalm for Sojourners” (734). Israel’s. And he is your protector as well! You can trust God’s providential care, because God watches over every aspect of your life. And yet the psalmist exudes confidence, which is rooted in the character of Yahweh. the Lordis your shade at your right hand; Shamar is repeated again in verse 8a, where the psalmist acknowledges that “the Lord will watch over your coming and going” (734). G. Forbes, The Voice of God in the Psalms, p. 94. “The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” (Psalm 121:8). Can you list them? You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this message provided that you do not alter the wording in any way and that you do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction. This theme is carried through the four strophes, and uses a poetic technique frequently employed in the Songs of Ascent, called anadiplosis. “Shade” can also be translated here as “shadow”. The Lord is your shade on your right hand. So when we read that the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night, what this is really saying is that God protects you at all times – both day and night and everything in between. This meaning is clearly evident in another psalm in the Songs of Ascent . 121 I will lift up my eyes to the hills [of Jerusalem]—From where shall my help come? Behold, He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.” There is a very simple message here: God never sleeps, slumbers or naps. In verse one the psalmist asks “Where does my help come from?” And in verse two we get the answer: “My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:2) Where does your help come from? Right? For any web postings, please link to the sermon directly at this website. The second truth is this: the God of Israel is your protector. “Psalm 121 is classified as a psalm of confidence meant to celebrate God’s providential care and is the second psalm in the Songs of Ascent” (429), which begin with Psalm 120. 121 1-2 I look up to the mountains;    does my strength come from mountains?No, my strength comes from God,    who made heaven, and earth, and mountains. Then this psalm is for you. In other words the phrase using the opposites includes both extremes and everything in between. In verses 1–2 the psalmist looks for a helper and refers to Yahweh as “my help” (‘ezri). 8The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in. The LORD will keep you from all harm. Elsewhere the phrase functions as a merismus referring simply to the general activity of life” (734). Just as Joseph’s dream identified his father as the sun, his mother as the moon, and his brothers as stars. The image of God in verses 1–2, however, shifts from “helper” to that of “guard” or “keeper” in the subsequent verses. Not on your life! God cares for you. As Jews made pilgrimages to Jerusalem, these are the songs sung while traveling the roads slowly leading up to Jerusalem, culminating in their arrival at the Temple. How should you interpret the time that goes by before you see His help arrive? And so we move from God as Creator of heaven and earth, to God as protector of Israel, to God as your personal Lord and Savior who projects you from all evil and harm. He never slumbers nor sleeps Since the language in the first two verses is put in the first person, this opening strophe appears as a confession by the psalmist. 2 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven(A)and earth. Do you need help this morning? Then the child trustfully falls asleep knowing their parent is there to watch over them. And why do I pray this way? It’s good to have a support system in place, but we need to look further than that. There are no accidents for those who belong to God.       – Psalm 46:1, 90:2. Mountains are symbols of strength and stability. By Ray Fowler. God is for you, and therefore no evil, no permanent harm can befall the believer in Christ.