Yesterday she wasn’t able to go to school. She is able to run a marathon. Notice that the stem changes from o to u in the gerund. The trainer hoped that we could run a marathon. Take your Spanish to the next level. What theme do you want to do for the project? assistiríamos. Mom hopes that I can speak two languages. Poder is a common auxiliary verb that is frequently used as the equivalent of "can" or "to be able to." Another word for ability is power. To express hypothetical situations of what could be in the future, if clauses (paired with subjunctive imperfect above), or polite suggestions. Conjugation of verbs in Conditional Tense Regular verbs. Patricia hoped that you could go to the party. Spanish Verb Venir Conjugation, Usage, and Examples, Ir Conjugation in Spanish, Translation, and Examples, Preferir Conjugation in Spanish, Translation, and Examples, Elegir Conjugation in Spanish, Translation, and Examples. For this reason, poder in the preterite is translated as "was able to." What to Do After Duolingo: The Definitive Guide, Best Way to Learn a Language: A Complete Guide from Beginner to Fluent, Comprehensible Input – How Clozemaster Mirrors Natural Acquisition, How Cloze Tests Help You Learn A Language 5x Faster, Black Friday / Cyber Monday deal - use the discount code BFCM2020 to get 50% off, 6 different and separate meanings of the verb. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. A clean and easy to read chart to help you learn how to conjugate the Spanish verb poder in Conditional tense. The perfect tenses are made by using the appropriate form of haber and the past participle, podido. The present subjunctive has the stem change o to ue in all of the conjugations except nosotros and vosotros, just like in the present indicative tense. Most of the sentences presented include audio of the sentence in Spanish, which allows you to … “No se puede tomar fotos aquí.” estarías. The imperative mood is used to give orders or commands. But no verb can be perfected without practice! “Si vivieras en Miami, podríamos trabajar juntos.” NO, It can’t be! La segunda guerra mundial?” A good example of this type of verb is poder (to be able to). Therefore, poder in the imperfect can be translated as "could" or "used to be able to.". Your email address will not be published. “Una vez que estemos todos juntos, podremos empezar.” In the first example, an if clause/polite suggestion is being expressed, and in the second, a desire that could happen. Conditional Tense Conjugation of poder – Condicional (potencial simple) de poder. My boyfriend cheated on me! “Ella puede correr una maratona.” “Ayer (ella) no pudo ir a la escuela.” “(Yo) no puedo salir hoy noche… tengo muchas tareas que hacer.” Conditional tense of the third conjugation regular verb: assistir (to attend) assistiria. The first example expresses a hypothetical situation/if clause, and the second a polite suggestion. The boss hoped that she could do an excellent job. In the second, desire. You can’t/are not allowed to forget this powerful verb! Then, add the conditional endings. Your father hopes that you can play an instrument. Others consider it to be an indicative tense. Whatever that means. The perfect present poder (haber + past participle) to express a definite past action. ; We simply attach the endings at the end of the Infinitive. But partly because the English "could" can refer to the past, present or future, and partly because the preterite and conditional tenses of poder are often interchangeable, the use of poder isn't always straightforward. Look at these examples: Pude hacerlo. ; The endings are the ones presented in the following table: The verb poder is prominently featured in the famous phrase "Sí se puede" can be loosely translated as "Yes, we can," or somewhat literally as "It certainly can be.". She has been able to do an excellent job. = I could do it (one off event in which I tried and I did it.) Note: There are multiple irregularities, including a stem change from o to ue in the present tense and a stem change in the future from er to r. For a refresher on irregularities in the future tense or present tense, check out our Spanish tense guides! Required fields are marked *. Check out the conditional conjugation of this verb below. (For help with the Spanish Present Subjunctive, check out this article!). I am unable to do the check-in until 3 PM. As the name implies, the conditional is a verb conjugation used when some action is based upon some condition or somehow contingent on something else. / I haven’t gotten around to correcting your essay. This is a Spanish lesson. This matters because you will see this on all technological devices in Spanish and it will drive you crazy – be warned! I can set the table. Poder in the imperfect tense implies that someone had the ability to do something, but it doesn't say whether they did it or not. Although the auxiliary verb poder can be used in the progressive form, it is not really used in that way in English, thus the translation might sound a bit awkward.