What he means is that, it looks like God has forgotten him. The psalmist is being hindered from being in Jerusalem during feast days. For the living God - God, not merely as God, without anything more definitely specified, but God considered as living, as himself possessing life, and as having the power of imparting that life to the soul. Oh, how many of you have learned this more deeply than I because of the waves that have broken over your lives. They reveal the heart and one day every human will give an account to God for his/her words (cf. Surely then we might with as much wisdom, and more innocence, have gone to the wilderness "to see a reed shaken with the wind." For example, Isaac Watts wrote these verses to be sung: How long wilt Thou conceal Thy face? Notice the psalmist feels that these persons taunt him all day long (Ps. But they are songs of faith. Come and appear before God. So here are six ways that this psalmist responds to the discouragement and turmoil that has come with the taunts of his enemies. In Book 2 (Psalms 42-72) of the Psalms there are two names for Deity that occur most often. This characterization of Israel's God as "living" contrasts with the pagan idols that are blind, deaf, mute, and non-existent (cf. That reminds us of the other thing we emphasized last week: The psalms intend to instruct. The NJB entitles this Psalm "Lament of a Levite in Exile.". Psalm 42:2 (WYC) My soul thirsted to God, the quick well/(the) well of life (My soul thirsted for God, the living well/the well of life); when shall I come, and appear … 2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? The psalms are songs. Lastly, there is a perfect longing perfectly satisfied; and that is heaven. Verse 2. He is fighting back. The phrase "deep calls to deep" is moving but ambiguous. Finally, the psalmist thirsts for God like a deer pants for the stream. When shall I come and appear before God? May we in humility of heart and gentleness of spirit thirst and keep on thirsting for God, for the more deeply we sense our need of the Lord Jesus, the more passionately we will pursue the Living Waters of life. After his God, his Elohim (his God to be worshipped, who had entered into covenant with him), he pined even as the drooping flowers for the dew, or the moaning turtle for her mate. By making us to prize the means of grace more highly. EXPOSITION. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. II. They are meant to be thought-provoking, not definitive. Psalm 42:2 PSALM 42 OVERVIEW. Should the interpreter emphasize the deep desire of the psalmist for God (cf. Those of us who were around in 1985 when I preached through Job may remember how this truth came home to us as a church. But even this deep intimacy does not mean that problems, illness, vicious attacks do not occur. A wicked man can never say in good earnest, When shall I come and appear before God? This same verse appears again in Ps. For the living God. Ps. Each of us must walk in the light we have. Appearance before God here and hereafter. Listen to Lloyd-Jones take hold of this verse: Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself? My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? Thirst satisfied. 2:4,9-19). Compare your subject divisions with the five translations above. Verse 2. He is not engaging in nostalgia. 42:1-4 In this strophe one wonders what the problem is. Let us, that we may realize this thirst of the soul, dwell upon the contrast. See how pathetically he questions as to the prospect of his again uniting in the joyous gathering! Verse 1-3. 42:2,4,5,6,11). 42:8 As the psalmist's tears were his food day and night (Ps. 42:7 The imagery is powerful. Lest sleep of death enfold me, If God hasn’t forgotten him, why aren’t these enemies driven back and consumed? "To see the face of God" is a nearer translation of the Hebrew; but the two ideas may be combined -- he would see his God and be seen of him: this is worth thirsting after! Read the chapter in one sitting. O Lord my God, behold me He calls past experiences to mind. How long shall my poor laboring soul My soul. Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.” Oh how crucial this is in the fight of faith. If corporate worship were not a real supernatural work of God, it would be pure sentimentalism for the psalmist to remember his experiences. 42:11a,b). The one who asks for more of Jesus and keeps on asking will receive. Leah: The Woman No Man Loved But Every Woman Envied (Gen. 29:15-35), 1. Paragraphing is not inspired, but it is the key to following the original author's intent, which is the heart of interpretation. YHWH is the only-living, ever-living God (see SPECIAL TOPIC: MONOTHEISM at Ps. Verse 2. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? That is my ultimate hope and prayer for these weeks that we spend together in the Psalms. The great promise is not the absence of problems, but His presence (cf.    Enlighten Thou mine eyes; That God would be revealed, and we would want to know him as he is in himself and fellowship with him. The psalmist is hurting inside (Ps. 1. 3My tears have been my food day and night, While they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" 2. the psalmist cannot worship at the temple (cf. For God. His external circumstances are oppressing. The intense heart-yearnings of the Psalmist for the Lord and his deep pleading enquiry to know the whereabouts of his God, resounds like the repetitive tolling of a bell through the intensely personal pleadings of Korah, in his Psalm - before he finally reached victory in his heart and a deep satisfaction within his soul. Psalm 42 (KJV) 1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. They are words for the wind. The word (BDB 697) translated "throng" occurs only here in the OT, but the same consonants can mean "thicket," "cover," "tent," "booth." "I shall again praise Him — BDB 392, KB 389, Hiphil imperative) for the help of His presence", 3. (Comp. 42:9a), attacked (Ps. Psalm 137, which is also an exilic Psalm). Ask a thief and a malefactor whether he would willingly appear before the judge. Verse 1-3. are an illustration of the frequent use of the word Elohim in the second book of Psalms. This is a study guide commentary which means that you are responsible for your own interpretation of the Bible. The true view of public worship. A Maskil of the Sons of Korah” underlines both points from last time: the psalms are instruction, and the psalms are songs. It’s not wrong to want relief and to pray for it. The Psalter of 1912 contains these verses to be sung the way the psalmist of Psalm 42 sang at night: How long wilt Thou forget me, He is not yet praising the way he wants to. To what is it directed, or does it point or tend? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for you, how will he not also with him graciously give you all things? Fourth, the psalmist preaches to his own soul. There are at least four forms of attraction presented to the soul. Faith projects forward and builds on past acts of trust. 12:36-37). This season will pass. 1. RSV changes the vowels to "and behold the face of God". When we think and feel with God in the Psalms, this is the main result: we come to love God, and we want to see God and be with God and be satisfied in admiring and exulting in God. So when applied to psalms, it may mean a song that instructs, or a song that is wisely crafted. The soul that thirsts for the Lord and pants for God and keep on and on thirsting and panting for Him is the one for whom the Lord Himself will provide His deep well of satisfaction, brimming to overflowing with the refreshing waters of His life - living water that revives, restore,s revitalizes and reinvigorates the man or woman whose inner being “thirsteth' for more of Jesus. All my nature, my inmost self. Whether two psalms or one, the subject is obviously similar and they are united with the common refrain of 42:5, 11, and 43:5. It were well if all our resortings to public worship were viewed as appearances before God, it would then be a sure mark of grace to delight in them. (last clause). He has earned degrees from East Texas Baptist College, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and has done post-graduat... More, 3. Augustine said he loved not Tully's elegant orations (as formerly) because he could not find Christ in them: nor doth a gracious soul love empty duties. Not merely for the temple and the ordinances, but for fellowship with God himself. Lu 24:16,32. And so is it with worldly men in regard of God, they desire rather to be hidden from him.