Plus other useful tips about this gorgeous walk. I mean how many meters up and down. Taking another detour inland towards Abbotsbury, it’s a change of scenery but just as beautiful walking across the English countryside! I used them for most of the hike since I was carrying a heavy rucksack but hiking uphill the trekking poles give you an extra hand. Or can you recommend other tour guides? *Becky the Traveller participates in the Amazon Services Associates Programme, as well as other affiliate programmes. We have split the path into 52 sections, and for each one have produced a section guide. No train station – nearest train stations are Poole and Wareham. Looking at your photos make me agree with what you wrote: ‘Jurassic Coast walk is a real treat’. I’m in the states, but considering coming over and spending 4-6 days hiking the trail. * Please note all costs and times are correct at time of writing. Your website is super inspiring! Hiking solo – if you are hiking the Jurassic Coast solo then public transport is the best way to get to the start point (and back again from the finish). I was lucky and timed my walk so I could cross the pebble beach and large rocks. For those UK fans of Broadchurch, you should be able to spot a few famous places from the TV programme. – Check out this tour from £75, Highlights on the walk: Stunning chalk cliffs with amazing views, Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove. There are plenty of difficult sections and steep climbs along the route but also some lovely flat sections in between to make up for it. This meant that I could leave my house at 6.30 am and be down south by 10.30 am. Thanks for this! One of the best ways to appreciate the spectacular scenery of the Jurassic Coast is on foot. Although it is stunning the walk up to the point and beyond are equally beautiful. It is easy to start following the path that takes you alongside the coast but you do need to go on a slight detour. alessandra from switzerland , Hi Alessandra, I hope you enjoyed your Jurassic Coast hike, apologies I was on a big hike across the UK and your comment didn’t come through! Buy train tickets online via National Rail or you can buy them at the station (The price was the same for me). Are you travelling by car or public transport? Your options here depend on a few factors. I parked outside Dorchester (street parking on the bus route). Hike shorter days or stay at hotels, B&Bs and guesthouses so you don’t need to carry full camping gear. Kimmeridge is a very small village about 1.5 miles off the Jurassic Coast walk. Yes, I could have got there by train at a similar time but peak train tickets cost between £96-£120 (one-way). On a clear day, there are stunning views out to sea. With luscious green fields and trees contrasting again the red cliffs. Both a highlight and a lowlight was Chesil Beach, 29 km long it’s spectacular but as you’re hiking on it you don’t really get the aerial view. Do you have any more questions about completing the walking the Jurassic Coast? This walk takes in the entire Jurassic Coast, England’s first UNESCO designated natural World Heritage Site. Ah, that’s fantastic Jack, it’s a beautiful walk, I’m sure you’ll absolutely love it. There’s even a sign saying that for a 7-mile stretch be prepared for difficult terrain and no facilities. If you make a purchase through these, I earn from the qualifying links. This coastal section takes you away from the views of the south coast for the majority of the walk. In 2001, the Jurassic Coast, the southwest coastal path from Exmouth in Devon to Studland in Dorset was named the first natural UNESCO World Heritage Site in the UK. After Branscombe, you’ll notice the cliffs changing from red to white chalk cliffs. It leads on to Durdle Door with its infamous rock arch and the equally iconic Lulworth Cove. No train station – nearest train station Wareham, Highlights on the walk: Durlston Castle, Swanage Beach, Old Harry Rocks. (By Month), 10 Budget Gifts For Walkers (From UK Small Businesses), Next Trip: Walking the Cumbria Way (+ Wild Camping) | A Winter Adventure, Is This The Best Winter Fleece Jacket? I wonder if I can find the difficulty of the walk somewhere. All the way round or is one coast better than the other? Although, be prepared some of the public transport isn’t ideal if you also have a car. Thanks! Click/hold and drag the map to set the centre point of your search location under the red crosshair, Postcode, placename or click the icon to use current location. The route then takes you along Chesil beach, Europe’s first barrier beach, and around the isle of Portland. Jurassic Coast walk (stage 1) – Exmouth to Sidmouth, Jurassic Coast walk (Stage 2) – Sidmouth to Seaton, Jurassic Coast walk (Stage 3) – Seaton to Lyme Regis, Jurassic Coast walk (Stage 4) – Lyme Regis to West Bay, Jurassic Coast walk (Stage 5) – West Bay to Abbotsbury, Jurassic Coast walk (Stage 6) – Abbotsbury to Weymouth, Jurassic Coast walk (Stage 7) – Weymouth to Lulworth Cove, Jurassic Coast walk (Stage 8) – Lulworth Cove to Kimmeridge, Jurassic Coast walk (stage 9) – Kimmeridge to Studland, Walking the Jurassic Coast – map reading and navigating, Jurassic Coast – Further Information about the walk. To begin with, it seems relatively tame, walking across fields but you soon are in what can only be described as a mini jungle section. This shows Gateway Towns in Dorset and East Devon, the South West Coast Path, museums and visitor centres, and bus routes.. A printed version of this map, known as the Jurassic Coast Mini-Guide, is available for free in many Tourist Information Centres, businesses and visitor attractions across Dorset, East Devon and the wider region. Since I was wild camping and hiking the full route in one go, I opted for OS Maps online. The impact of the sea is distinctly evident in the many amazing rock formations and cliff faces on this stretch of coastline. This is a long section but it’s difficult to split up this part of the walk. *Becky the Traveller participates in the Amazon Services Associates Programme, as well as other affiliate programmes. Durlston Castle isn’t like a traditional UK castle but it is a great spot to stop for a drink and from there you can see all the way to Old Harry Rocks. padding-top: 0px; From Charmouth, you are back walking on the cliffs up to Golden Cap which is the highest point on the Jurassic Coast. This is another section where there are limited options for accommodation and refreshments. Like the denivellation of each day. On leaving West Bay you walk around the small harbour, then you automatically have the iconic cliffs from the TV show Broadchurch in front of you as you walk up the beach. One question for you: if you could only do half of the 95 mile length, which part is the best to do? Trains leave at 32 minutes past the hour and take approximately 1 hour 45 minutes. Plus hiking along long sections of tiny pebbles is pretty tough going. beautiful walk and lots to see on the way, makes up for the Abbotsbury shingle missing Portland you have missed an important part of the Jurassic coast. Weymouth to Studland? How many days does it take to hike the Jurassic Coast (all 95 miles)? Read more here. Durdle Door, pictured above is the iconic photo which you will see on most websites and social media when anyone mentions the Jurassic Coast. On the route head we recommend you stop at the The Three Horseshoes Pub in Burton Bradstock for refreshments. Although this is a 2-hour drive so factor that into your plans at the start and end of the hike. There are plenty of options for staying in hotels, B&Bs and campsites which are also dotted along the route. I went wrong in both Lyme Regis and Swanage, basically because I was too busy looking at the scenery instead of where I was supposed to be walking! Of course, that doesn’t mean to say you have to walk it in one go! Hi Becky when you came from Abbotsbury to Weymouth you forgot to walk the Isle of Portland