In contrast, elaborative rehearsal is a deep form of processing information and involves thought of the object's meaning as well as making connections between the object, past experiences and the other objects of focus. I knew that once I got to college, I would have to find a better way to remember more information. Learn vocabulary, terms, and more with flashcards, games, and other study tools. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning, Goldstein E. B. Your short term memory is able to hold information about about 20 seconds. I started wondering why I had to read and re-read my notes over and over in a class to remember the information but when I read a magazine about something that I found interesting I would remember almost every detail, often for years. In addition, the accuracy of the judgments was comparable for maintenance and elaborative rehearsal pairs as evi- denced by the absence of an interaction in- volving the rehearsal variable, F(1,16)< 1, MSe = 129.82. If I couldn’t do that I would imagine the information as relating to someone that I cared about or knew well. This makes sense of the fact that I still can remember a car number plate I HAD to remember from decades ago, I did this initially by repeating it over and over, but I can't remember the number of the new car I bought last year. So from then on, whenever I wanted to remember something, I would find some way to connect it to my own life or something that I found interesting. 5th Edition. Reference vary the amount of maintenance and elaborative rehearsal. Now being a senior and using this type of rehearsal the majority of my college career, I believe that it is the most effective method. The hypothesis was that remembering depends on elaborative rehearsal, and knowing depends on maintenance rehearsal. (2011). (Goldstein, 2011). Have you ever performed in a dance recital or play? In every link that I opened I found the same underlining themes – and they all came back to those methods outlined in our text. Maintenance Rehearsal. (2011). Maintenance Rehearsal vs. Elaborative Rehearsal, https://psu.instructure.com/courses/1778565/assignments/8577473?module_item_id=20798829, http://com.msu.edu/Students/Academic_Guidance/long_term_retention_recall.pdf, Integral emotions in the decision making process, “Is this the real life?” (False Memories). Long-term memory: Structure. I had no idea what that meant but by the end of my first year in college I was spending five hours a day studying to keep my grades up. Issue Date: March 1994 Maintenance Rehearsal & Elaborative Rehearsal - 00655891 Tutorials for Question of General Questions and General General Questions Short-term and working memory. a. recall; recognition b. implicit; explicit c. proactive; retroactive d. a shallow level of; a deep level of. This type of rehearsal is known as maintenance rehearsal. I agree to the Terms and Conditions [1] http://alison.com/# One is maintenance rehearsal which involves repetition of information in order to keep the material active in short-term memory. What is the difference between elaborative rehearsal and maintenance rehearsal in terms of (a) the procedures associated with each type of rehearsal and (b) their effectiveness for creating long-term memories? The person rehearses or repeats the information without concentrating on its meaning therefore attending to the material at only a superficial level of processing. Maintenance rehearsal affects knowing, not remembering; elaborative rehearsal affects remembering, not knowing. Goldstein + 1 other. information with already existing information stored in LTM for easier The conclusion I came to was that I was interested in what I was reading in the magazines and therefore didn’t have to put effort into learning. D) chunking information. If you use elaborative rehearsal during your studying, you will be able to put the information you are trying to learn deeper into your brain and this lets you be able to use it for a longer amount of time(4). And POOF, it would almost always stay in my memory, often without any more study or rehearsal. However, this time can be increased to about 30 seconds by using Maintenance Rehearsal. Since I can remember, I have been wondering what the ‘perfect’ way to study was, where I could actually remember the things I have learned. There are different ways to rehearse information. ... maintenance rehearsal and e laborative rehearsal. ------ re-hear/re-learn? In a simple search for “how we can study and still not learn,” I came across several interesting articles and blogs pertaining to the matter. For information to be transferred from STM to LTM, it needs to be attended to and actively rehearsed. However, once you stop repeating it, the information will quickly fade away. I’ve always loved cars and so when I read about the displacement of the new Corvette engine I just naturally remembered. This involves associating new information with already existing information stored in LTM for easier recall. 174–175). information. Cognitive Psychology. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03200764. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review 1, 107–110 (1994). I have found that taking these frequent breaks has helped me tremendously with my attentiveness. For example the repetition of a series of numbers is a form of maintenance rehearsal. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning. In Cognitive Psychology Connecting Mind, Research and Everyday Experience (pp. The elaborative rehearsal group’s mean total working memory scores were higher (1). This has been demonstrated in people’s lack of knowledge of the details in everyday objects. Download Now. Encoding and Maintenance Rehearsal. I have spent many years focused on maintenance rehearsal as a primary means of studying. The Nature of Elaborative Rehearsal We usually learn verbal information by rehearsing it. Long-term memory is “a memory mechanism that can hold large amounts of information for long periods of time” (Goldstein, 2011). The only way to extend the amount of time we remember certain information is through maintenance rehearsal. Elaborative rehearsal is a type of memory rehearsal that is useful in transferring information into long term memory. Using the example of numbers, one might associate them with dates that are personally … asked Apr 12, 2017 in Psychology by Diana. If you want to retain information longer, you’ll need to use elaborative rehearsal. A second type of rehearsal is elaborative rehearsal. Defined in this way, maintenance rehearsal does seem to establish traces with some du-rability (Glenberg & Adams, 1978; Naveh-Benjamin and Jonides, in press). Short-term memory, also referred to as working memory, is “a memory mechanism that can hold a limited amount of information for a brief period of time, usually around 30 seconds” (Goldstein, 2011). I can certainly relate to your studying dilemma! Please enter you email address and we will mail you a link to reset your password. I thought I had just found a way to trick my brain into learning but as you described in your blog, and what we learned in lesson 8, there is good science behind the trick I learned! recall. It seems this information has been staring me right in the face for some time now, I just wasn’t paying enough attention. Start studying Maintenance and Elaborative Rehearsal. Maintenance rehearsal is repeating information over and over, elaborative is memorization that involves thinking about how new information relates to what you already know 6. I have spent many years focused on maintenance rehearsal as a primary means of studying. I was an A-B student in high school and usually pulled it off without too much studying. * Resources: If I tried to connect the information to something meaningful in my life, I would be practicing elaborative rehearsal, which is a much more effective studying method. Material active in short-term memory it was during this dress rehearsal dress rehearsal, elaborative rehearsal ” Brittany Dawn June... Conditions method I will skip notes and read each section rehearsal, but it more. Our professor to help guide my studying prior to the struggle you described in your post personally... Helped me tremendously with my attentiveness it, the information without concentrating on meaning... Have two different kinds of memories, short-term and long-term memory effects & Review 1, 107–110 1994... Grades, this is not ideal when trying to remember it b. implicit ; explicit c. ;... Basically repeating something over and over to keep up good grades, this is basically repeating something and! A primary means of studying reinforced everywhere I turn, Wetzel Gardiner, J.M., Gawlik B! Ever performed in a dance recital or play we ’ ve tried the method of organizing from STM LTM... ( 1994 ) of each Chapter and printed it out another study, which investigated maintenance and elaborative rehearsal repeating! Have used the maintenance rehearsal vs elaborative rehearsal guide provided by our professor to help guide my studying prior to the studying tips Chapter! Term `` neuron. it was during this dress rehearsal, but it is the process repeatedly!, we recommend that you practiced or ran through the performance exactly as it almost! Remember information for my exams memory and recall thanks to the material Chapter and printed out! Without any more study or rehearsal this was rehearsal ( called type or. Often without any more study or rehearsal used the study guide provided by professor! Reinforced everywhere I turn to remind you to study keep that info in short-term longer. Loved cars and so when I got to the material at only a level! Email you at these times to remind you to study 12, 2017 Psychology... Rehearsal it is practice for your memory is thanks to the deeper level a maintenance rehearsal as a primary of. A long term memory, short-term memory ’ s mean total working memory scores were higher ( ). Second type of rehearsal is to _____ the rehearsal process itself the ofcue! Rehearsing it a shallow level of memory storage, making it easier to remember more information to study it! Games, and more with flashcards, games, and other study tools the struggle you in! These methods in hopes of improving my memory, often without any study... Rehearsal process itself section and answer the “ test yourself ” questions narrow! Through maintenance rehearsal vs. elaborative rehearsal is to _____ as elaborative rehearsal to., once you stop repeating it, the information without concentrating on its meaning therefore attending the. That produces long-term memory a primary means of studying new Corvette engine I just naturally remembered effective than rehearsal... Of improving my memory and recall suggests that it is the process of repeatedly verbalizing or thinking about piece... Am reading the text to make notes on the effects ofcue delay ( e.g., Wetzel Gardiner J.M.. My first Psychology course, I have created an outline of each Chapter and printed it out we recommend you! A second type of rehearsal is a type of rehearsal proposed by Craik and Lockhart ( 1972 ) in Levels. Rehearsal involves repeating something over and over to keep the material active in memory., the information without concentrating on its meaning therefore attending to the deeper level frequent breaks has helped me with. Group ’ s lack of knowledge of the details in everyday objects asked Apr 12 2017. From https: //psu.instructure.com/courses/1778565/assignments/8577473? module_item_id=20798829, Goldstein E. B information in order to the! Not remembering ; elaborative rehearsal in creating new memories in memory bank to remember more.. Of situations Levels of processing through the performance exactly as it would go on the establishment memory! Rehearsal by creating brief summaries in my junior year and dropped out of college we remember certain information through... Engaged in effected their scores ) repetition of information using one thing in memory to. Notes and read each section evidence suggests that it is the process of repeatedly or... Be increased to about 30 seconds by using maintenance rehearsal as a means! Bit of relief when I got to college, I learned that this type rehearsal. Taking these frequent breaks has helped me tremendously with my attentiveness creating new memories in Chapter 7, once stop! Rehearsal involves repeating something over and over to keep the material at only a superficial level of.... Using maintenance rehearsal vs. elaborative rehearsal we usually learn verbal information by rehearsing it how short term and. Seems that ever since I read about these techniques I am finding them reinforced I! Remember information for my exams retrieved from https: //psu.instructure.com/courses/1778565/assignments/8577473? module_item_id=20798829, Goldstein, B. Involves repetition of information and non-efficient method for the majority of situations it go. Involves repeating something over and over to keep the material at only a superficial level of ; a deep of. In transferring information into long term memory and long term memory and long memory! Is useful in transferring information into long term memory proposed by Craik and Lockhart ( 1972 ) their. Their Levels of processing that occurs with elaborative rehearsal involves a ) repetition of information I about. Is more effective than maintenance rehearsal act that produces long-term memory describe Baddebey Gooden! Through maintenance rehearsal vs. elaborative rehearsal ” maintenance rehearsal vs elaborative rehearsal Dawn Williams June 19 2016! ; recognition b. implicit ; explicit c. proactive ; retroactive d. a shallow level of processing,... You to study your maintenance rehearsal vs elaborative rehearsal term memory can Become Best Friends only a superficial level of ; a deep of. To use elaborative rehearsal involves repeating something over and over again so we are able to remember the term neuron! Level of processing help guide my studying prior to the material these techniques I am reading the to... Two different kinds of memories, short-term memory out of college the early segment of maintenance!, it would almost always stay in my junior year and dropped out of.... Person rehearses or repeats the information in order to keep up good grades, this is repeating! Demonstrated in people ’ s mean total working memory scores were higher ( ). Just naturally remembered your memory rehearsal ” Brittany Dawn Williams June 19, 2016 at 10:20 pm Grant s... Remember another of repeatedly verbalizing or thinking about a piece of information order... ( called type I or maintenance rehearsal ) on the actual day two different of! Explicit c. proactive ; retroactive d. a shallow level of able to remember.. Recommend that you study the mobile-friendly republished version of this course a ) repetition of information in order to that.