There are plenty of alternatives if you're concerned about toxicity. Many factors can influence the light fastness of any particular paint formulation, for instance, the quality of the actual pigment manufacture and amount & type of impurities has much influence on a pigments fastness to light. Every tube is labeled with the ingredients. The CI chemical constitution numbers and the chemical names, and pigment composition: These have specific meaning indicating chemical composition. There are so many factors that can influence paint properties that it is impossible to give an absolute degrees of light fastness, safety or color hue for every brand of paint or pigment. I'm not going to make you the whole list, but while doing my research, I didn't find any pigment that was totally harmless. In Addition, the particle size can also play a big role in the exact hue produced. Mineral and natural pigments also have many variations. Whether it’s treated or not (and how well) depends on the waste water treatment in your area, and you can do your own research on that. Green can be an Achilles heel for any artist, and the urge to grab premix green watercolor paint out of a tube can be hard to resist. I test out colors that combine to make delicious meals, but eventually my taste changes. My preferred choice instead of black or the classic “Paynes Grey” for a convenience grey. in Museum conditions, 7-8 = ASTM I, Excellent All efforts are made to bring you the very best in American Made watercolor paints. The Second Column is the CI or Historical common name: The pigments common name is usually the same common name that is described in the official Color Index. Something to ponder over! ©2013-2016 by David Myers, All Rights Reserved. I am not an expert on this topic, but I have been researching a lot. This color, despite being made up of three pigments, mixes will with everything, provides very interesting fine granulation, and works especially well for dramatic skies! Remember… Don’t drink your rinse water. Painting is a lovely activity. Watercolor paints generally have a low toxic index, but the level of toxicity can vary depending on the pigments used in the paint ingredients. Start with making color mixing charts (whichever kind you find most useful!) Most artist paint brands and the ASTM do not test for the effects of heat, moisture, pollution or other environmental factors. If you're letting kids watercolor, choose the non-toxic variety. Lost in colours handmade watercolours. Also, I would be more concerned if I were using acrylic paints. DISCLAIMER: This article concerns itself with the common-sense safety aspects of art materials and art safety in general. 6 = ASTM II, Very Good If a paint marketed as "Cerulean Blue" is really made with Cerulean Blue or "PB35" what is there to hide? I wash my painting utensils in a bathroom, not the kitchen. If your cat accidentally lies in your watercolor palette, wash off the paint before they can lick it off. Many of the books on the page are classic and vintage art books, with some written by the Old Masters themselves, but not all of these books or e-books are in the public domain. Pigment Red 102). Watercolors consist of binders and pigments. If your in a hurry, click here to go to the Quick Jump Chart Below, For Important Info on the Pigment Database Click Here, For the Pigment Table Key Click Here to open in a new window, (for Key to the codes click here, or scroll to scroll down beneath the tables of any page), Miscellaneous Historic Natural Pigments Mineral Pigments Unclassified and Exotic Pigments, "The Color Index Classification System and Terminology", "The Colour Index Classification System and Terminology", You can more info on marketing and other paint nomenclature at the handprint.com site here, The Colour Index International Constitution Numbers page. The  kid's ones too are a bit toxic, most of the time. There are LOTS of great comparison videos that will give you a rather good view of paints, how they mix and dry. Chromium, a carcinogen that causes birth defects, is found in Viridian (PG 18) and Chromium Oxide Green (PG 17). 147. Art material suppliers and pigment manufacturers may name their paints anything they choose and often will name the pigments and paints with misleading color names, or names that are descriptive of the "hue" color and not the actual pigment used. Notice all those green (rows 1-3) were made using only two of my own handmade natural paints Indigo genuine (NB1) and Curcuma (NY3). These types of natural pigments are often named for the location of origin such as "Sienna", "French Ochre" and "Italian Pompeii Red" or for there color such as "Red Ochre". If you paint almost every day, and you’re concerned about the toxic effects of paints, I suggest using cotton gloves which you can just re-use after washing (Amazon link). Photo Essay: Hiking along the Allt Graad in Evanton Wood, Scotland, 158. Buy ARTEZA Watercolor Paint, Set of 60 Colors/Tubes (12 ml/0.4 US fl oz) with Storage Box, Rich Pigments, Vibrant, Non Toxic Paints for The Artist, Hobby Painters, Ideal for Watercolor Techniques: Paints - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases