The excellent coeliac.org.au describes Sourdough as a fermented bread, most commonly made from wheat, using predominantly Lactobacillus bacteria, sometimes combined with yeast, to create lactic acid and gas (nitric oxide) to give sourdough its unique characteristics and flavours.. The square is $2.89, while round is $2.99. Recommended. Sign up to discover your next favorite restaurant, recipe, or cookbook in the largest community of knowledgeable food enthusiasts. Which has a more sour flavor; also any ideas on who bakes for them? Most big grocers carry sourdough. https://www.nestandglow.com/healthy-food/real-sourdough-vs-fake Shop for Specially Selected Square Sourdough Bread at ALDI. Real Homes is supported by its audience and 100 per cent independent. It would seem more like regular bread with sour flavoring added. It’s easy to handle, holds together very well, and tastes great no matter how it’s prepared. © Aldi Reviewer. It is nothing like the previous round Every time at my Aldi store the sourdough is still nearly frozen. Learn more. Your email address will not be published. The key is scaling back but... Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week. Sourdough. Aldi has round and square loaves, similar but different. Specially Selected Sourdough Loaves are a Regular Buy, meaning you can get them in stores all times of the year. Jocelyn Guest (whole animal butcher) teaches us how to perfectly spatchcock (or butterfly) the bird. Just bought the new 3 ingredient version of Specialty Sourdough Round called “Small Batch”. All rights reserved. You may unsubscribe at any time. Psssst, Over Here. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Appleton Farms Spiral Sliced Hickory Smoked Honey Ham, Appleton Farms Spiral Cut Double Glazed Ham, Baker's Corner 100% Pure Pumpkin (and Pumpkin Pie Recipe). The bakery I use is Organic Bread of Heaven and I order the Rustic Sourdough. This site is not affiliated with or endorsed by Aldi or its subsidiaries. I agree that this bread is one of Aldi’s better breads. Real Sourdough bread in the wood-fired oven at BreadBread bakery Brixton. Pecan Pie or Pumpkin Pie: Which One Wins Thanksgiving? I ship in six loaves at … It’s a tasty bread. Soda bread is not to be mixed up with sourdough, which is a completely different type of loaf. I’ve eaten it toasted with jam, as part of a ham and cheese sandwich, and served it with butter alongside a dinner entree. I have baked 100% rye bread using my own, 5 -years old sourdough and self grinned flour. The good news is Aldi does, too. The Sourdough Bread I Buy. This makes the bread … Company: ALDI Inc. Website: www.aldi.us Introduced: August 2017 Distribution: National Suggested Retail Price: $2.89 Product Snapshot: ALDI-exclusive Specially Selected Sourdough Round is made with an enriched flour, offering 4g of protein and 8 percent iron per slice. I love this bread but it’s getting harder to find-selling out quickly! Well, Lori… the short answer is no, most “sourdough” breads in the grocery store are not real sourdough. Discover quality bakery products at affordable prices when you shop at ALDI. Who knows. No, it’s not sprouted, however it is fermented – that is, TRUE sourdough is. At the time of this post, Aldi offers two varieties, square and round. Who knows. It has a decidedly different flavor than a traditional white or wheat bread, with — as the name suggests — just a bit of sour flavor. It looks like yeast is a component of commercial sourdough bread: https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product/farmhouse-sourdough-bread/. It is one strain of yeast, raised because it is really great for making bread quickly consistently. But as there are no legal statutes about what constitutes a Sourdough bread, and what distinguishes it from regular yeast bread, either of these companies and any other can say what they like with impunity....hence Helgas can legally call an obviously regular industrial white yeast bread a "sourdough".and nobody cares....or Bakers delight can claim their Sourdough is made with a 200year … Wonder why they changed the recipe when the other was such a good seller. Special thanks to, The secret to a gorgeous evenly cooked turkey is trussing. Special thanks to, © 2020 CHOWHOUND, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. We just love the flavour & taste it’s the best!! A true sourdough bread begins with a ‘starter’ – a mixture of flour and water. In today's #AskWardee, I'm going to tell you more about what's wrong with the grocery store sourdough breads and how to find real sourdough. I was disappointed that it’s a yeast bread. 4. It’s a versatile bread, as it can be used for any meal, whether it’s toasted for breakfast, made as part of a lunch sandwich or used to sop up the remains of a broccoli cheddar soup. The fine print doesn’t say much about who makes the bread, although it does caution that it is manufactured in a factory that also handles milk, soy, and egg. It’s dry, dense & doesn’t toast well at all. However as stated above, it is not a true sourdough bread. |, 9 Baking Mistakes That Ruin Your Cakes, Cookies, Brownies & Bread, The Top Trending Fall Foods & Recipes, According to Google, The Best Places to Buy Baking Ingredients Online, Chowhound Christmas Gift Guide 2020: The Best Gourmet Food & Drink Gifts, The 20 Best ALDI Finds for November Are All About Cookies & Thanksgiving, 8 Easy Ways to Make Boxed Mac & Cheese Taste Like You Made It from Scratch, The Cookbooks We're Most Excited for This Fall, Ready or Not, Pumpkin Spice Products Are Back Again, 7 Helpful Produce Subscriptions You Should Know About, Meal Prep Containers That Will Get You Excited to Make Lunch, The Best Food & Drink Advent Calendars for 2020, Chowhound Christmas Gift Guide 2020: Best Gifts for Food-Loving Families and Parents, Why You Should Spatchcock Your Turkey & How to Do It, The Ultimate Guide to Perfect Mashed Potatoes.