I take off the cardboard outer wrapper, but leave it in the foil wrapper. Cream cheese is a staple in our home. It will ensure an even temperature throughout the cream cheese and a quicker softening time. Cream Cheese can spoil quickly and bacteria can begin to grow on soft cheese after only two hours at room temperature. -Jamie, Here’s how I soften cream cheese. ©2020 My Baking Addiction. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. To ensure safety, Clemson Cooperative Extension suggests not leaving your cream cheese at room temperature for more than four hours. Learn how your comment data is processed. But no worries, I’ve got ya covered – so the next time you find yourself staring at cold cream cheese, you’ll know exactly what to do to get it to room temp in no time! We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Stay up to date! I do not find the need to cut up the cream cheese when I soften it, but some people do. Okay, that water trick might just have changed my life! Want more? Thank you for microwave suggestions. Next time, make sure the butter is soft but not mushy, if that was the case this time. JulieBlanner.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Freezing cream cheese can be wonderful for preserving its shelf life, but it can also change the consistency considerably and the cream cheese will not be as creamy in texture once it is defrosted. Works like a charm, and the foil never leaks.Â, Thanks so much for stopping by, Joan! It will ensure an even temperature throughout the cream cheese and a quicker. Sometimes this can happen if the butter is too soft, sometimes it can come from over-beating. That’s it! Happy Baking! But this method usually means that you have a bit of a plan in place. Pro tip: it is best to only microwave 2, 8 ounce packages at a time. Thank you! Place near the oven or in a sunny corner for a faster defrosting time. Add 10 seconds for every additional 8 ounces of cream cheese. Pro tip: it is best to only microwave 2, 8 ounce packages at a time. Check out my marinated cream cheese recipe, as well as this adorable holiday pesto wreath appetizer! Unlike hard cheeses, soft cheeses, like cream cheese, have more moisture, so they spoil faster. I’m Jamie and I bake too much, watch way more hours of Food Network programming than I care to admit publicly, I stay up too late, and eat way too much sugar. It’s very simple to soften cream cheese, and it’s a step you simply can’t skip over. Foodsafety.gov, recommends to discard cream cheese after two hours of being at temperatures above 40 °F. 16 Comments / Leave a Comment », Your email address will not be published. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.Place near the oven or in a sunny corner for a faster defrosting time. If your recipe calls for cream cheese that is mixed into other things, you can cut your cream cheese into 1-inch cubes. Ya know you’ve done it – and I’ll attest to the fact that cleaning up melted cream cheese from the inside of the microwave is a pain in the rear. Design by Purr. So if softening cream cheese is an afterthought for you as well, here are a few tips and tricks on how to soften cream cheese quickly if you find yourself in a pinch. And there you have it, my not-so-technical methods of bringing cream cheese to room temperature on the fly. Cover cold cream cheese and plate with plastic wrapping and set out on the counter. If you did, there is a high chance that your cheese is already bad. Your email address will not be published. To avoid this, use a butter knife to slice the cream cheese into roughly 1 in (2.5 cm) pieces. Sounds like it will work for me! If you are needing more than that, I suggest softening your packages of cream cheese in batches. I love hearing from you! You'll know it's ready when you can easily squeeze the bag or container. What went wrong and did I beat too Long? For butter, I heat up water in a glass, then dump it out and put the glass over a stick of butter to soften it – do you suppose that would also work with cream cheese? I’m definitely going to use these! No, it is not a good idea to leave cream cheese on the counter overnight or for anything beyond a couple of hours. You can add 15 seconds for each additional package of cream cheese. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. I’m often only remembering to pull the cream cheese from the fridge at the last minute. I usually put both out on the counter the night before. This can typically take anywhere from five to 10 minutes. This is my all-time favorite method for softening cream cheese. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Thanks so much for stopping by, Pete! Let the cream cheese sit in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until it has softened. If you do not have time to allow your cream cheese to sit at room temperature for at least an hour, microwaving cream cheese is the best and easiest way to quickly soften cream cheese. This method works best with only one package of cream cheese at a time. The amount of time cream cheese can sit at room temperature depends on the room temperature. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Place cream cheese in a medium size bowl of very warm water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. It should be the same consistency as butter should be when you leave it out to cream for cookies. You can also melt cream cheese using this method. (May I suggest trying Lemon Cheesecake, my Salted Caramel Cheesecake or my Gooey Butter Cookies?). -Jamie. If you don’t have a microwave available, softening cream cheese can be done almost as quickly in a hot water bath. -Jamie, Great tip about cubing. via RSS Required fields are marked *. Get tips, tricks and recipes to host a memorable Thanksgiving! [1] X Research source -Jamie. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. If you don't have that time to spare, here's how to soften it quickly: Take an 8-ounce package of cream cheese. This happens often when you try to soften cream cheese in the microwave without knowing the tips and tricks to make it work. It balances perfectly with sweet dishes and adds richness to savory dishes. These are great tips – I always ALWAYS forget to let my cream cheese sit out and then I get so frustrated at myself, lol. Allow cream cheese to sit at room temperature for one hour. 1. I love to hear from you! -Jamie, The other day I tried making a cream cream frosting for my carrot cake and it was not creamy but it curded. There are numerous other methods for softening cream cheese, but microwaving is the fastest method. Hope you’ll try it again! What great tips in this post, thank you!! Only softened, room temperature, cream cheese will whisk into that creamy smooth texture that is so well loved in a recipe. A warm and sunny day is your friend when using this method to soften cream cheese. Most recipes call for softened cream cheese and it is so important to follow that instruction! Entertaining Hack: Learning How to Soften Cream Cheese, Allow Cream Cheese to Sit at Room Temperature, A New Spa Bath at Home | Luxury Bath for Less, 3 Ingredient Creamy Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe, Pesto Cheeseball Wreath | Festive Pesto Cheese Appetizer. Softened cream cheese will ensure that no lumps are left in your batter or icing. Do not leave cream cheese unrefrigerated overnight, or longer than two hours. That would probably work as long as the water wasn’t too hot. However, if you’re at all like me, sometimes ya just get the urge to make classic vanilla cheesecake (or other baked goods) without a plan in place. Softened cream cheese, means that it is brought to room temperature. Spread the cubes out onto a cutting board or plate, making sure they aren’t touching. Your email address will not be published. Life can get so busy, and I find that I’m constantly multi-tasking. Happy Baking! Place the plate into the microwave and heat on 50-75% power for 5 seconds. Note that if your fridge loses power, you should also throw out cream cheese after 4 hours with no power. If you leave the cream cheese in a block, the outside will start to soften while the inside stays cool, slowing down the softening process. -Jamie. This post covers the four best ways to soften cream cheese, as well as recipes and food safety details. How long can cream cheese sit out? The flipping action will help the cream cheese to evenly soften. I love to cook and bake with this versatile ingredient. Do this on all four long sides of the block(s) of cream cheese. Many of the links on this blog are affiliate links. No matter your choice is, make sure that you don't leave the cheese more than 4 hours at room temperature, or it will grow some molds. It is not recommended that you leave cream cheese unrefrigerated overnight, or longer than two hours.