For this herbal remedy we will be using the leaves of yarrow and not the flowers. Apply to the wound gently. She taught Matt and Betsy how to make soap so they decided to bring her on as a staff writer! How does styptic powder work? Cayenne is antibacterial and anti-fungal, so it can really help with wound healing. Styptic Balm: No need to worry about it drying, melting or breaking by dropping it on the floor, due to our patent pending application process and container. To use styptic powder, simply dip the affected paw or beak into a small bowl or container of it. It uses a perfect blend of these oils with the aluminum sulfate to stop the bleeding from shaving cuts. It comes in different forms and not everyone uses the same formula to create their own styptic solution – a.k.a “styptic pencil”. If you click through and make any kind of purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. These threads form a mesh over the wound, trapping platelets and blood and forming a blood clot. Using cayenne is a good deal and for most people actually helps reduce the pain significantly after the initial shock of putting pepper on the wound. The pollinators love it and so do I! If you’re not totally prepared, that may be ok! So in the case of yarrow leaves, do not harvest more than 10% of the leaves from a single plant. When you   cut your pets nails too short, they can start bleeding and this solution seems to work well for your pets. Yarrow is a common herb that grows wild all over the country. Consider this factor in your actions. The bleeding should stop within a minute or so. I also love yarrow. The consistency of these styptic pencils can be compared to the white chalk we used in schools,. Step 1 –  Wet the tip of your styptic pencil with cold water. You might feel a slight sting, but it should go away quickly. Every styptic pencil is best used after the shave rather than right after a cut occurs. You can visit this article, How to Make a Tincture, so you can make your own inexpensive Cayenne Tincture to have available. We wanted to stop the bleeding, but also nourish the skin at the same time. May I suggest catnip as a base for insect repellent in the future? In my experience, the cayenne initially hurts like heck! Visit www.aromaculture.com for more information. Have you ever used a styptic powder? It's worth while to keep some on hand, just in case you need it. 4.5 out of 5 stars 149. They should never be used mid-shave because it could affect the quality of your overall shave experience. Plain and simple: Getting a cut while shaving sucks. If you are on blood thinners, it would be worthwhile to do your own research into this as you put your emergency kit together. It can last a very long time as it is just pure aluminum sulfate. Yes, you read that right. 4.7 out of 5 stars 7,136. I am not a doctor and legally cannot diagnose. Don’t overdo it; you just need to lightly cover any affected areas. What is the best styptic pencil for treating shaving cuts? PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for us to support our website activities, we may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for our endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this website. FTC Disclosure: There are affiliate links scattered throughout this article. What would you do? In this article we share our key learnings about the best styptic solutions to help you with shaving cuts. You should absolutely consider some Quikclot to keep on hand too. If you're interested in learning about herbalism, including using herbs not only for emergencies but for your health and wellness, check out The Herbal Academy of New England. Various sources note that the use of Cayenne Pepper can stop bleeding within about 15 seconds. Honey doesn't help stop bleeding however--but it will help with disinfection to an extent. © 2018 Glyder, LLC | All Rights Reserved |, All You Need To Know About Styptic Pencils. They are an awesome school with all kinds of courses that will meet your needs! The stories claim that Achilles carried yarrow with him to aid fellow soldiers in case of injury and battle wounds. Want to know how to take care of your family in an emergency situation and also for their general health and well-being? Here is Yarrow. A styptic powder is a substance that causes bleeding to stop. They are different and they don't work the same for clotting.