If I am not sick I can not stand the stuff. Could you perhaps help me know what could be causing this? "It's what Michael Jordan drinks to regain his strength during games so I know it's effective." I think the rehydrating home remedy just says to add a dash of salt and a pinch of sugar to an 8 oz. It is also good to give them chicken soup. I don't think Gatorade is a cure but just for me not to be dehydrated and replenish all the water loss that I had. Salt reduced/blocked multiplying bacteria (but not kill them all). Fortunately, it worked. It isn't like she is giving it to him all the time, it is only for this specific illness. Why I suggest sugar and salt (see discussion No. I have been drinking water and gatorade. Information about your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps. However you are correct there is a lot of sugar, but if his body is not absorbing nutrients then the electrolytes can help. its been going on for about three months now ... View answer, Bismal and drink a citrus flavored Gatorade type drink to help keep my electrolytes up. Thanks. We have been told by our relatives before but we just didn't believe them until it was told by our pedetrician. MD. I want to know, what's your take on this? This combination not gonna stop diarrhea but can avoid your nephew from dehydrated. Thanks for spicysweetie21. I have always given my kids Gatorade when they were sick and had diarrhea. They have same content but only different is the brand ^^. i've got a really sensitive stomach and i am prone to getting diarrhea a lot. As long as I concern, all food we ate will change to sugar by our body and sugar create energy for us. To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. lol. If there is no blood in stool and it lasts no longer than 48 hours, you may try to do it by your own. I've never heard of Gatorade curing diarrhea. get well soon to your nephew. He does not have a fever , aches and pains. However when I did a research on Google opinions on whether or not to have the patient drink Gatorade as a substitute are contradicting. I was dehydrated that time and felt so weak but I have to come for an assessment to a job that I applied. Mostly ate toast ... Gatorade. Can Gatorade cause diarrhea? Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions, Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties. for me, i always drink gatorade whenever im sick like fever, diarrhea, body malaise to avoid dehydration. It was only that one time I drank Gatorade because I want to recover fast. I have read several posts online and most moms presented the same argument, that rehydration should be your first concern and worry about the sugar later. Wiki User Answered . Gatorade has electrolytes which can really help when someone is unable to keep food in for what ever reason. I already see entire discussion and I believe is about how we can avoid dehydrated caused by diarrhea. Thanks! However, it should not be consumed in large amounts because it can cause serious medical side effects. Plus, the sugar will give his body some additional fuel to run on until it is safe to eat more substantial foods again. Hi chiwasaki! It replaces electrolytes used during exercise and is appropriate for both athletic and non-athletic persons. Lucky you! I'll take note of 100 plus marcmm. He's the expert here so we should follow his advice. It is effective for someone who is working in the heat, or who has been exercising rigorously for a couple of hours. But sorry, I forgot how much you must put sugar and salt on water. ;D i usually take some sort of medicine for the whole diarrhea thing. voracious, My nephew is currently recovering. It started browm and now in the past hour or so its turned to a red watery type diarrhea . You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. I've had diarrhea several times already but I only have taken Gatorade once and I think it worked for me. I'll surely take note of these. Specially because your pediatrician recommended it. I find that a bit irritating. I think it helps, like an aid actually because gatorade does contain some thing in it that help rehydrate the body. He's feeling a little better now although he obviously lost weight. At times I feel better, but it doesn t last. Gatorade may also be helpful to replace electrolytes lost during an illness that involves bouts of vomiting or diarrhea, or after prolonged exposure to excessive heat. It merely helps your body recover faster, you still need to take medicines that is especially created for diarrhea. I guess I didn't have much choice that time because I badly needed to rehydrate fast and that's the only thing I know. Me and my wife are very surprise when we heard it from our pedetrician. I don't think Gatorade is different. In most cases there is no "cure" for diarrhea other than supporting the body and letting it purge the bacteria or virus that caused the diarrhea in the first place. 5 years ago. Yes I am from the Philippines. While generally safe, there are some consequences to drinking too much Gatorade. Then we ask him how if this is not suffiecient? But I won't rely too much on it. Yes, sugary drinks are never helpful and I can't believe that people still believe that gatorade is like some power drink or something. Drink plenty of liquids (Gatorade,... Give her appropriate rehydration with ORS-L or gatorade. Top Answer. She tells me that it is good for you. The thing about sugary drinks is if the diarrhea is caused by bacteria, they will feed on it and multiply. It is more expensive though that's why they opted for Gatorade instead. O have been... View answer, problem. I have a 5 year old son and these information could come handy. I had an amoebiasis about 3 years ago where the symptoms are like severe diarrhea with fever. If a person is dehydrated, give them water. All rights reserved. Use mineral water mixed with sugar and salt will work. Give her hygienic diet and clean drinking water. No it won't cure anything. Also if he has not been keeping anything in for a few days a liquid drink like Ensure will help as well, as it has vitamins and minerals that can help sustain someone with such an illness, my daughter was really sick a few years back and I thank God for those shakes because that and taking her to the hospital every night for IV fluids is what kept her alive. .... My immediate concern is she has diarrhea which has lasted 18 days. You are already signed-up with us. Could the Gatorade caused the redness? Gatorade Cause Diarrhea. What more can I do to stop her Diarrhea? He is drinking fluids, like apple juice, water and Gatorade. Download Here Free HealthCareMagic App to Ask a Doctor, All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. 2012-06-25 13:16:27 2012-06-25 13:16:27 . I'm from the Philippines and we don't have ginger ale here. gatorade does not cure it, it jsut helps form not getting dehydrated. He gave a lot of rehydrate salt and diarrhea pills. Diarrhea occurs when you have bowel movements (when you "poop") more often than you usually do and have very loose, watery stool ("poop"). Why settle for something cheaper if what's at stake is your child's safety? Daddylane 24. Artificial sweeteners, dyes, and sugar can contribute to diarrhea in some individuals. 1 0. This medication caused me to have diarrhea and today(12/28) I am having problems having a bowel movement. Answered by : Dr. Nishad BN ( General & Family Physician) What causes severe diarrhea? That's what my sister-in-law said. =D. I failed to supress my giggles. Then he said we can give him 100 plus, an isotonic drink, but leave it open to remove all teh gas or CO2 inside the drink. You should just stick to the doctor's advice. I have been drinking lots of water/coconut water & some Gatorade. I'm not sure why but every time I drink Gatorade I get diarrhea and I don't drink a lot of it. But if we are not sure, maybe we shouldn't give it to our kids. I really hope your nephew feels better soon. Gatorade is a sweet tasting vitamin enriched sports drink made for rehydrating sports men.