Bake for 15 minutes, then sprinkle the remaining 50g of blueberries over the top of the cake. Therefore if I was to make this again unless there's some real flavorful pear I'm unaware of I'd skip the pears altogether. Add pear, lemon zest and juice, then cook over low heat until the pear is soft (but not mushy). Another useful hint: Lightly whisk … Stir in 2/3 cup blueberries. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Also, the pears definitely need more than 6 minutes to cook before baking. Add chilled butter pieces and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Ate with a dollop of real whipped cream but then liked it better alone. Add blueberries, flour and remaining 6 tablespoons sugar to pears; toss gently to blend. Combine pear pieces, 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons orange juice and salt in large nonstick skillet. This is a winner. all around the pie shell. We’d love to pop into your email inbox every Friday with foodie give-aways, cookbook news and inspiring recipes just like these. We use cookies on this site and by continuing to browse it you agree to sending us your cookies. Stir in the almond extract. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Please try again. Used frozen crust to save time. Cool on a wire rack. My husband and I enjoyed this as it was my first attempt at a coffee cake. I increased the blueberries to 1 cup of frozen and liked them in the cake more for color contrast and health benefits. -Brenda Carr, Houston, Texas, Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Cut pie into wedges and serve. I liked it more than I thought I would but still prefer a less fruit & different fruit type cake. The topping of this pie was the best part - everyone at the party loved it! Surprised me. The Greek yoghurt adds a wonderful richness to the batter and makes the cake … Congrats! Didn't have OJ, Gently fold pears, blueberries and chopped almonds into the batter. I thought this pie was fabulous, and much better warm than room temperature. Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture until just combined. I did NOT add the cinnamon sugar topping and am glad I didn t. I was quite sweet enough without it for me. Let soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.). The cinnamon is quite pronounced but it's perfect for a cake of this type. They were too firm in the finished pie. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. It should just start to tenderize. need to discard rice -- just keep it My crust shrank a lot during the initial baking so that very little of the crimping was actually showing once I put the filling in. Mine were a little … I will NEVER use this crust recipe again. Beat until light and fluffy. You can also use this recipe to make muffins or cupcakes, simply adjust the baking time accordingly. Doesn't need the whipped cream but is nice to add a little more flair after for serving! Pour into prepared tin. 2. Preparation. Stir in the almond extract. Place the butter, brown sugar, cardamom seeds and nutmeg in a pan over low heat. They turned out soft (not mushy) with a firm middle. Just made this last night and it's great! Privacy policy, Very nice. My crust shrank too. I'd maybe substitute apples with the blueberries instead or maybe just use blueberries but a lot more of them. topping is to die Would definately make it again. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The streusel is delicious. substituted lemon I made this when I had an abundance of pears. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. 280 calories; protein 4.1g 8% DV; carbohydrates 42.9g 14% DV; fat 11.1g 17% DV; cholesterol 61.8mg 21% DV; sodium 61.1mg 2% DV. Cook over medium heat until pears are tender but still hold their shape, stirring often, about 6 minutes. I couldn't keep my family out of this dessert before the party, so had to make another! best crust recipe. Grease and line a loaf tin 11 x 21cm, and set aside. I substituted spelt Beat in eggs, one at a time. No Mine was a little raw in the center and had to go back for 15 more min. I used my own crust to avoid the reported shrinking. Ottolenghi's simple yet irresistible Blueberry, Almond and Lemon Cake is an easy bake that won't fail to impress. I didn't use the almonds or the almond flavoring prefering a simple teaspoon of vanilla so as to get the pure buttery flavor of the cake. Pour into prepared pan. Pie was PERFECT! Repeat with the remaining milk and flour. For more information on our cookies and changing your settings, click, Get our latest recipes, competitions and cookbook news straight to your inbox every week, Get our latest recipes straight to your inbox every week, unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing, lemons: finely grate the zest to get 2 tsp, then juice to get 2 tbsp. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); FOODDRINKRECIPES.COM uses cookies to make the site simpler. I'm making it again today and it will be gone today too!! How long this takes will depend on the pears you use and how ripe they are. Doesn't need the whipped cream but is nice to add a little more flair after for serving! I cut the pears to 1/2 inch out of personal preference. Even with cooking that long it is still very moist. I used 3 pears and 1 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup of almonds - this is a very moist fruitful cake;) Almost like eating pie with the crust mixed in. 18 Aug 2010 I added the third cup milk to the sugar mixture. Method. Grease and flour a 23cm round springform tin. -  The streusel Test cake for done-ness at the very center. I made it for a brunch for my bible study group and everyone loved it. rice or beans, ensuring firm contact Not what I expected and kind of turned me off. So simple to put together. crust should be pricked all over Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). The addition of a small amount of polenta adds a gentle crunch. Mix in 1/3 of the flour mixture until just combined. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Meanwhile, make the icing. with foil or parchment on the bottom Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan. The pie, itself was brown enough in about 50 minutes. little longer on Perfect! Delicious. I was worried the almond extract would be too strong but it mellows ut quite nice. I even used a store bought crust to save on time and it was still delicious. Repeat with the remaining milk and flour. Nice company dessert. is missing KEY information.  -  flour. The cake is a nice moist cake with bits of pears, blueberries and almonds. crust from becoming soggy after it's Excellent, my husband asks for it every year on his birthday. Almost like a spongecake. Repeat with the remaining milk and flour. need to cook a Beat until light and fluffy. The topping is easy to make and not heavy like frosting. I was worried the almond extract would be too strong but it mellows ut quite nice. baking. Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, divided. Streusel was the best I've ever had. This is a great out of the ordinary Pie. The cake is moist and delicious but I found that the pears didn't contribute much in the way of flavor, so that when I came across a blueberry I found I wanted more of them. Stir in the almond extract. Place the butter, sugar, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and vanilla in the bowl of a free-standing food mixer with the paddle attachment in place. Will try using white whole wheat flour next time.