PEPPERMINT– To me, peppermint has a fresh, clean scent that reminds me of candy canes and Christmas, but to many insects it smells horrible. It will also leave you smelling fresh and arboreal! Do I need vodka or witch hazel to make the spray. Most commercial bug repellents contain DEET (N, N -Diethyl- meta -toluamide), a chemical originally created by the United States Army after their experiences in the jungles during World War II. I’m a complete novice with this so would love feedback. will this damage the product in any way? I see where they are coming in put the oils on the area and bam gone for a long time like weeks. Cedar is helpful at repelling many pesky bugs like mosquitoes, flies, and silverfish. Yes. To use:  shake well and spray on dog’s coat until damp. Store ought stuff was not working so my daughter and I busted out the oils. I make bathroom room sprays all the time. Make a DIY Bug-Repelling bracelet:  Simply braid cotton fabric or leather and wrap around your wrist. DIY Homemade Bug Repellent with Essential Oils: Spray-On homemade room spray–  fill 8 oz glass spray bottle about 3/4 full with distilled water, then fill most of the rest of the way full with witch hazel, and add 20 drops sweet orange, 10 drops lemon, 10 drops eucalyptus, and 10 drops lavender essential oil. 2 drops vetiver :  In a spray bottle, combine 1 cup of vodka with 20 drop lavender, 20 drops eucalyptus, and 10 drops tea tree. Thanks! This is great! If that’s you, here are the top bug repellents I recommend: I am so happy to keep the bugs away by using a natural product that is free of nasty chemicals. Mix 15 drops of peppermint essential oil and a cup of water in a spray bottle. DIY flea & tick spray for dogs:  In an 8 ounce spray bottle, combine 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil, 10 drops sweet orange, 10 drops lavender, 10 drops cedarwood, 5 drops peppermint, and 5 drops lemongrass. From the kitchen to the bathroom. Otherwise the oils are not properly diluted . This is thanks to its composition containing compounds such as limonene, cintronellol and alpha-pinene, which are what make lemon, lemongrass and cedar wood effective bug repellents, as well. Tea tree is also great at keeping bed bugs and head lice away. Doterra and Young Living oils are NOT organic !!! We used 4 drops of citronella Java and 4 drops of cloves. Has anybody tried this? :-), YOU are a gem! Mohamedi – in the tutorial we’ve given you the option to use vodka instead of witch hazel. You can use this essential oil as an insect repellent while leaving your skin a minty and clean smell. Tip- if you’re traveling, take a small bottle of this with you. Download my free guide 5 Days to DIY Natural Living to learn how to save money while getting rid of harmful toxins throughout your home. Flies are biting really bad right now. I’m just starting out using essential oils for repellents. Hi, I’m Aspen and I’m glad to have you here! I’ve found that citronella helps with mosquitos, so I think you’re covered! Use tea tree to keep pantry bugs away:  Wipe down shelves with a mix of white vinegar and a few drops of tea tree essential oil. Follow the recipe in the post, not comments. SWEET ORANGE & OTHER CITRUS OILS- Sweet orange essential oil has 90-95% content of limonene, which is lethal to fleas and flies. It did unstop my nose but I got some on my taste buds and couldn’t taste for 3 days. You can use lavender in your closets, cupboards and drawers to repel moths and other bugs while leaving your clothes and other items smelling fresh and clean. My 20 something daughter found out the hard way a few years ago with cinnamon oil in bath water. It’s just to remove any bacteria that could cause the repellent to go bad, faster. I have been using essential oils for many years and for a short time bought into the Doterra brand but soon discovered the oils were not organic and very expensive. According to a study from the School of Forestry and Resource Conservation, cinnamon essential oil has even exhibited the potential to kill mosquito larvae even better than DEET, although it hasn’t been tested against adult mosquitos yet. Clove can also be applied topically on bug bites to drastically reduce redness, inflammation, itchiness and pain. The carrier is needed for spray bug spray though. Carrier oils are added to dilute essential oils so they’re safe for use on skin. Works on: flies, gnats, ticks, mosquitoes, Filed Under: Wellness Tagged With: bug cream, bug repellent essential oils, bug spray, essential oils for bugs, essential oils for mosquitoes, peppermint for mosquitoes. I have read that lemon, eucalyptus, and peppermint work well on spiders. Rebeca. Thanks for sharing! Thanks again for sharing your knowledge about this. Homemade bug repellent works for mosquitoes, gnats, flies, and ticks depending on what oils you have! Danielle, For the spray, use the carrier oil. Use lemon eucalyptus to make an effective natural bug spray – in a spray bottle mix 2 ounces witch hazel and 2 ounces distilled water with 40-50 drops essential oil (or 20-25 drops for kids 3-9). (For example, did you know that the FDA requires that only 5% of a bottle contain actual essential oil in order to be labeled pure? Today, doused my clothes with spray and myself with the oils to work in the yard. The flies make it impossible to sit on the back porch, and if they don’t get you then the mosquitoes will. Ants, cockroaches, gnats, head lice, moths, silverfish, spiders, ticks, and weevils all detest scent of sweet orange essential oil.