Removing it may solve the vole problem but it creates other gardening problems. Voles like the protection of weeds, mulch and dense vegetation. It is a slow acting poison. If numbers become very large resulting in a lot of damage, select a control option that does the least amount of damage to other wild life. i do. If you’re trying to stop a particular pest species from causing damage, it’s important that you know what it is so you can use the appropriate prevention or eradication method. This is not a good option around dogs and cats and it can poison other wild animals. Remember, predators rely on these animals for food. sedum's 'autumn joy' and others like this, hosta's, lilium, tulip, crocus, grape hyacinth bulbs, daylilies, siberian iris, russian sage, parsley (a whole patch last year! They have cylindrical bodies with very small, inconspicuous ears and eyes. But nothing else was working to drive off that tulip-munching vole in my front bed, so I took a chance with the poison. This feature has been temporarily disabled during the beta site preview. The severity of the effects depends upon the species. astilbe, yarrow, daffodil, snowdrops, allium bulbs, rudbeckia 'goldstrum' (black eyed susans), rose bushes, hydrangea bushes, ox-eye daisies, hardy cactus, clematis and hollyhocks. If you have both moles and grubs, getting rid of the grubs will probably not get rid of moles since they will just eat something else. The University of California's Agriculture and Natural Resources Department suggests adding a wire fence 12 inches above the ground and 6 inches below. We were helpless as our healthy onion bulbs disappeared overnight, and our dahlias died daily. If your spring lawn has numerous above ground tunnels as shown in the picture above, you have voles. The Tyrant LOVES dahlias. The problem is that mulch is very important for gardens and the growth of plants. feel better? They look very similar to mice. Granted, voles populations are kept in check by: …so their population numbers tend to ebb and flow rather than going perpetually upward. Or if you think I should still use the vole king cages – what is the largest size I can use with it still being effective? How to Protect Bulbs from Voles Battling them can be time consuming and replacing chewed plants can quickly become expensive. Voles eat plants and therefore damage your garden. When you’re putting in vole-sensitive transplants (like artichokes), bulbs, or tubers, simply: 1. Bank vole – other types of voles have darker fur. Additional credit: 1) shrew image by Eliza Holcombe, 2) vole image by Soebe, edited by Fashionslide – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link, 3) mouse image by George Shuklin (talk) – Own work, CC BY-SA 1.0, Link, 4) mole image by Kenneth Catania, Vanderbilt University, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link. arghhhhhh!! If you’re planting edible tubers that you harvest in fall after the plant has gone dormant, these tags are especially helpful. debi & franklin, I don't have small children or pets loose in the yard and wouldn't recommend this if you do. 3. I found that a mix of cayenne powder and wasabi powder sprinkled on the ground about every two weeks works. where do you sprinkle it? Put the bulb in the hole, and then fill it up. Can't wait to try it ... good one, i like that idea. ready.....on the count of three.....1......2.....3.....aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh They took out a few dwarf dianthus too, but I think that was more incidental damage as they were digging their way to the next tulip! LOL. If you’d like to remediate damage done by voles in your yard and prevent others from returning, there several easy treatment and prevention methods you can use yourself or call upon a pest control expert to do for you. Because tunnels are very shallow and open, fumigants are rarely effective. One of our Asian persimmon trees in a hardware cloth basket. Looking out my front window yesterday I noticed that rabbits had recently done considerable damage to my oakleaf hydrangeas chewing the branches down to approximately a universal one-foot length. thanks, Apply Mole and Vole Repellents: Applying an effective mole and vole repellent is a safe and reliable way to prevent winter mole and vole damage. debi & franklin. Moles prefer lose, moist soil – the same kind of soil we want for our gardens. I've been losing species tulips, one by one, along the front walk. I have had all the above-mentioned plants eaten -- even the ones supposedly not tasty to them -- and I cannot keep a dusty miller in my front bed -- 7 out of 8 gone! The next year it was mouse traps with peanut butter. Click here to learn more about our story, and please subscribe to get our freshest content delivered to your inbox!