2 To: The faithful Christian brothers—God’s people—in the city of Colosse. 18 Do not be cheated of your prize by anyone who chooses to grovel to angels and worship them, pinning every hope on visions received, vainly puffed up by a human way of thinking; 19 such a person has no connection to the Head, by which the whole body, given all that it needs and held together by its joints and sinews, grows with the growth given by God. Let your lives overflow with joy and thanksgiving for all he has done. He took this list of sins and destroyed it by nailing it to Christ’s cross. 23 In these rules you can indeed find what seems to be good sense -- the cultivation of the will, and a humility which takes no account of the body; but in fact they have no value against self-indulgence. --Hosea xi. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. THERE is an allusion here to the prize which was offered to the runners in the Olympic games, and at the outset it is well for us to remark how very frequently the Apostle Paul conducts us by his metaphors to the racecourse. [ a] Read full chapter. Starting your free trial of Bible Gateway Plus is easy. Begin reading God's Word ad-free with instant access to your new online study library. What are the benefits of creating an account? The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Do not taste! "For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh; that their hearts may be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ."--COL. Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Click the Bible for the all new StudyLight.org!! May God our Father shower you with blessings and fill you with his great peace. Colossians 1 Living Bible (TLB) 1 From: Paul, chosen by God to be Jesus Christ’s messenger, and from Brother Timothy. Home > Study Desk. Upgrade, and get the most out of your new account. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. Heartlight Provides Positive Resources for Daily Christian Living. 4. I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God’s mysterious plan, which is Christ himself.3 In him lie hidden all the treasures of … Your Catholic Voice Foundation has been granted a recognition of tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. 4 I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. 2 It is all to bind them together in love and to encourage their resolution until they are rich in the assurance of their complete understanding and have knowledge of the mystery of God. Over and over again he is telling us so to run that we may obtain, bidding us to strive, and at other times to agonize, and speaking of wrestling and contending. Test drive it and tell us about your experience. It's a little awkward to ask, but we need your help. Colossians 2:15 Parallel Verses [⇓ See commentary ⇓] Colossians 2:15, NIV: "And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross." Exposed them openly - Before all the hosts of hell and heaven. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. SYSTEMATIC theologians have usually regarded union to Christ under three aspects, natural, mystical and federal, and it may be that these three terms are comprehensive enough to embrace the whole subject, but as our aim is simplicity, let us be pardoned if we appear diffuse when we follow a less concise method. 5 I may be absent in body, but in spirit I am there among you, delighted to find how well-ordered you are and to see how firm your faith in Christ is. For God’s secret plan, now at last made known, is Christ himself. Heartlight is supported by loving Christians from around the world. 9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. 3 Whenever we pray for you, we always begin by giving thanks to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 for we have heard how … 20 Since you died, as it were, with Christ and this has set you free from following the world’s ideas of how to be saved—by doing good and obeying various rules[a]—why do you keep right on following them anyway, still bound by such rules as 21 not eating, tasting, or even touching certain foods? All rights reserved worldwide. 1 I want you to know, then, what a struggle I am having on your behalf and on behalf of those in Laodicea, and on behalf of so many others who have never seen me face to face.