Here are just a couple.You should practice them full range, and then target areas that are the most difficult. I remember back in middle school and high school preparing for regional band auditions. It has no particular or obvious function. HowToPlayTheSax.com - Have Fun. Help me play my favorite songs. The simplest way is to use chromatic passing tones. And how to move your hands to go from one note to the next. As I mentioned earlier in the article, some of these chromatic patterns form symmetric scales. And, just about every celebrity saxophone player that has presented a masterclass for Sax School from Andy Snitzer (Billy Joel) to Nigel Hitchcock (Mark Knopfler) and even Dave Koz says it’s an essential part of their routine too! This first example uses the chromatic scale mostly straight and in a non-contextual way. When studying improvisation, we talk about tension and release. Your email address will not be published. Welcome to Michael Phils Music where we bring you tutorials based on your favorite musical instrument. The C-C and F-F chromatic scales feel very different under your fingers. My big goal was to play at a jam session - and now I've done it! This application was used in the second example above (major seconds in minor seconds). This example uses a chromatic pattern, descending major seconds in descending minor seconds. The chromatic scale has both simple applications to improvisation as well as some more complex applications. Need Help Finding a Teacher? All over the world, "Baker Street" has to be one of the most iconic pop sax lines. Other patterns that created augmented scale patterns include: major thirds in minor thirds, perfect fifths in major thirds, etc. This example uses the chromatic scale in a couple different ways. Obviously you don’t want to run before you can walk! I'm getting back into saxophone. A few that work well are: 7 down to 5 over a maj7 chord, 5 down to 3 over a minor chord, and 3 down to 1 over a major chord. He is available for teaching lessons in the NY/NJ area and his Musika teaching profile can be found here. Although the chromatic scale doesn’t specifically “fit” any  particular chord as it obviously contains all the available notes, you can still use it within chord changes by paying attention to the chord tones on strong beats. If you’ve read my other articles, then you’ve already practiced contextual chromatic scale applications while working on the bebop scale. In the full lesson – as with all full lessons for all songs that we are learning inside the Members Area – we break the song or the concept down into bite sized pieces. Thus, there is only one chromatic scale. Printable scales written for the saxophone, including major, melodic minor, harmonic minor, natural minor and chromatic Saxophone Scales Below are both printable pdf and html links to all the major, minor and chromatic scales for saxophone. Thanks, Chris for nice sharing. Please choose OK to accept that you are happy with this, All sales profits donated to special needs music - Info. The chromatic scale or twelve-tone scale is a musical scale with twelve pitches, each a semitone above or below its adjacent pitches. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Have Fun. Sax School has built my confidence - thank you! It seemed to have no relevant applications. This lesson and video showing a saxophone chromatic scale is an edited and condensed version. Classical music went in this direction at the turn of the 20th century. I have learned more in the last month working with you than I have for the past two years on my own! You certainly make me feel that my goals are attainable. The options for the chromatic scale on saxophone were either to play it full range (Bb-F) or to play it two octaves starting on a provided note (C-C, D-D, F-F). With so many students, it's amazing how you make everyone feel special no matter what level we are at. If you eat your vegetables, you will grow up to be big and strong. (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({}); You have entered an incorrect email address! The notes in between the downbeats are technically passing tones, but there aren’t really any particular chords or scales that the passing tones are outlining. Basically, it felt like a test that simply showed how good I was at playing the chromatic scale. It has some unique applications. They were always posted on a list on a wall in a large auditorium. If you eat your vegetables, you will grow up … You have entered an incorrect email address! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It’s all the notes, in order. This was kind of my experience. With Sax School I can go back to the basics and there are a ton of advanced lessons too. There are a lot of possible chromatic exercises you can practice. Thanks for sharing this. all the white notes and black notes of the keyboard. help!! Do I want to be more clear about a chromatic application? The diminished scale is made up of major seconds in minor thirds. Other chromatic patterns that create whole tone scale patterns include: major seconds in major seconds, major thirds in whole steps, tritones in whole steps, tritones in major thirds, minor sixths in whole steps, minor sevenths in whole steps, etc. The diminished scale, whole tone scale, and augmented scale are built from the chromatic scale in chromatic patterns. The categories I’ve been using in my other jazz scales articles to describe how each scale is constructed and applied in music don’t quite fit with this scale. When applying harmonic ideas or concepts to jazz improvisation, there are contextual and non-contextual applications. The full version of this saxophone lesson is available to our Members inside our Members Area. The chromatic scale is a scale that takes some time to understand and appreciate. This also includes learning how to play chromatic scales on your saxophone. I don’t really believe this anymore, although I’m sure there are musicians that don’t think in the context of scales, so who knows.