The chunks of dark chocolate break up the sweetness and add a little extra texture to the chewy/soft blondie. Bake for 25 minutes, until just cooked through. I'm the cook, baker, and photographer here at Food + Table. Check. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Sheet-pan Roast Chicken, with Za'atar & Lemon, Summer Vegetable Pasta with Herbed Ricotta, Kinda Kofta, with Freekeh Tabbouleh Salad. You had me at Bourbon. But blondies made me realize that there could be so many more notes. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and 1/4 cup of the butterscotch chips until the mixture is smooth. Jump to Recipe Print Recipe. Using the handle of a spoon, or offset spatula, swirl the butterscotch around. Now take a knife, pointed straight down, and use it to dig small holes all over the batter, wiggling the knife a little to expand the width. Mix the melted margarine with brown sugar and beat until smooth. Grease and line an 8"x8" square pan. Let cool before cutting. Then stir in the mix-ins. Bourbon? Use any bourbon/scotch/whisky you like. They should be pretty pale still, with a little crackle on the surface, and starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. Melted butter is mixed with brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla and then the dry ingredients are mixed in. Drizzle thick dollops of butterscotch over the top of the batter. Add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. It took me until adulthood to discover the joy of blondies. Transfer it to the bowl of a stand mixer. You can save the rest in an airtight container in the fridge to use on ice cream or whatever else you like! For ease, I recommend lining the pan with parchment paper and spraying that, too. Salty desserts? Mixed with the blondies though, I like how it offsets the sweetness. Easy. Find this recipes and more in Duff Bakes: Think and Bake Like a Pro at Home ($27.50, William Morrow). You can use store bought butterscotch sauce if you like, but the one I make for these is a little thicker, and sneaks in a little extra bourbon flavor. Bake for 20-24 minutes. Home » Bourbon Butterscotch Blondies. I mean, I love a brownie. No longer the boring cousin of the brownie, these blondies are packed with tons of flavor from brown butter, toasted hazelnuts, chocolate chunks, butterscotch chips and a healthy splash of bourbon. October 20, 2015 By betsy 1 Comment. Add the vanilla and bourbon and beat until combined. They're ready when the edges are set and the center is still slightly moist when you poke it with a toothpick. You'll use about 1/2-2/3 of the batch. And the bourbon butterscotch adds a layer of deeper caramel flavor, a hint of delicious oak from the bourbon, some much needed saltiness, & a little extra gooey-ness. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 7" x 11" baking dish. I'm an academic turned baker and lover of food and story. I think things like nuts, cinnamon, chunks of chocolate, and liquors get a bit hidden in a rich chocolate brownie. Beat the brown sugar into the butter mixture, then the egg. You want a thick sauce (think slowly pourable), but keep in mind it will thicken a little more as it sets. Hi, I'm Katie! Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined. Butterscotch sauce: 4 tbsp unsalted butter, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 3/4 tsp flaky salt, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp bourbon, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, pastry if you have it, Mix ins: 1/3 cup chopped pecans, 1/3 cup mini white chocolate chips. Pour the butterscotch into a heat proof bowl and let cool while you prepare the blondies. You really won't regret giving this recipe a try. If you try mixing the sauce into the batter before pouring it in the pan, the butterscotch swirls will be nearly unidentifiable after 25 minutes in the oven. Add the vanilla and bourbon and beat until combined. And butterscotch. But in a blondie, there’s a complimentary relationship going on. All you have to do is add things to a saucepan incrementally and stir occasionally. Speaking of not including things, the total time here includes making the sauce and the blondies, but not waiting for the sauce the set up. These blondies are full of dark chocolate chunks and swirled with rich & gooey home-made bourbon butterscotch sauce. Mix the melted margarine with brown sugar and beat until smooth. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. However, if you do choose to make the butterscotch sauce, you will have a truly decadent snack. Standard. Remove from heat and let cool completely. These do take some time to set up, so try to let them cool nearly completely before cutting yourself square. Add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Bourbon Butterscotch Blondies. I was that weird kid who, when offered the choice of a brownie or a blondie, would always choose the blondie. Easy. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. Your email address will not be published. Turn off the heat, but keep the pan on the burner, then stir in the vanilla and bourbon, letting it bubble for 1 more minute. The butterscotch sauce is pretty salty-if making it for an ice cream topping, I might cut it back to 1/2 tsp salt. Once the batter is well combined, stir in nuts and butterscotch … I was always the “I choose chocolate” person in the room, so at any sort of bake sale or potluck gathering, it was brownies or bust. Stir in the cream and vanilla and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally. I immediately asked for the recipe and shamelessly baked them for every holiday party I attended that year. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray or butter it generously. And that little hint of bourbon–it’s just dreamy. Required fields are marked *. Remove from oven and allow to cool. (You can use the fridge to speed this along). In the dream I asked a front desk person at a hotel if they could help me change my flight to a later flight. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, in two additions. For me cooking is all about sharing with others at the table. Add the dark brown sugar, flaky salt, and heavy cream. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low. Even better if that flavor is amplified with brown butter and dark brown sugar. Transfer it to the bowl of a stand mixer. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. They take 15 minutes to throw together & are the perfect thing for a party! Butterscotch sauce adapted from Just a Taste. First, make the butterscotch. Beat in egg and then bourbon. Delicious. Currently living in NJ with my husband, David & Boston Terrier puppy/child, Bernie. Read more, unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled, dark chocolate, chopped into rough chunks. Check. This blondie recipe makes a pretty typical blondie. Add some bourbon butterscotch sauce drizzled throughout, forming what David calls “little tunnels of goo,” and we’ve really got something here.