Types of mushroom in the UK: common identification guide, Top tips for an eco-friendly and sustainable Christmas, Staying safe in our woods during the pandemic, Take part in our Nature's Calendar survey. them apart. Autumn leaf identification quiz: can you identify these 10 trees? A Message from Martha – the extinction of the Passenger Pigeon and its relevance today, Behind the binoculars (with Keith Betton), Fighting for Birds – 25 years in nature conservation. The quintessential sound of early summer. Birds of Conservation Concern in Ireland 2014 – 2019. The willow warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) is a very common and widespread leaf warbler which breeds throughout northern and temperate Europe and the Palearctic, from Ireland east to the Anadyr River basin in eastern Siberia.It is strongly migratory, with almost all of … branches; in fact, they are searching the undersides of the leaves for I think the bird in the background of the Polish song is a Savi's Warbler, sounds a bit low to me for Grasshopper W. Your email address will not be published. Blackcap. The reserve has seen more than thirty species of wading birds. Get out, get busy and get wild! Nature is an adventure waiting to be had. They rarely slow down, dashing between shrubs, grabbing insects from one leaf after another, and popping up on low perches to sing. Great ideas on how your garden, or even a small backyard or balcony, can become a mini nature reserve. Less frequently in hedgerows, forests and well-vegetated gardens. Registered in England No. I remember in 2015 when travelling around Scotland with a 6-foot Hen Harrier called Henry that every time we stopped and I got out of the car I would say ‘Willow Warbler!’ because there’d be one singing nearby, or several. This makes them stronger fliers and gives them slightly longer wings. Song structure and singing behaviour in two nesting populations of Willow Warbler Phylloscopus trochilus acredula of different density were studied in Moscow and Kostroma Regions, Russia, from 1994–1997. Some males may try to support two females and two nests at the same time. Not to be confused with: the chiffchaff, which looks very similar but can be differentiated by its song and darker legs. It is a very pleasing, descending series of notes, which is frequently repeated. Pale green above, with a thin yellow supercilium and dark eyestripe. Record the comings and goings of key feathered friends and help scientists track the effects of climate change on wildlife. Diet. The Willow Warbler is almost indistinguishable from the Chiffchaff. the young hatch, they are fed by both parents. See some of the ways you can get into green living. You’re only likely to see or hear them in upland oak woods, mostly towards the west of the UK, though there’s a chance of spotting one further east during autumn migration. I heard a brief Pied Flycatcher this afternoon whilst out in the garden repairing one of our garden seats. I have a video where you can hear the song. 294344) and in Scotland (No. A soft “hu-it” similar to that of the Chiffchaff. The undersides are lemon-yellow, some juveniles being darker yellow in autumn. With a typical weight of around 9g, this is a dainty bird of a similar size to a blue tit. lined with fine roots and feathers. GB520 6111 04. buff underparts and with a pale stripe above the eye. 2020 © Mark Avery The number of willow warblers in the UK has fallen by around 44% since 1970. Willow Warblers winter in central and southern Africa. Appearance and behaviour; Where to find them ; Spotting tips; Threats; Quick facts. During the summer, they’re more of a woodland bird and become harder to see. The song differs markedly from that of the Chiffchaff and is the easiest way of separating these similar species. Proudly powered by WordPress Standing up for Nature Garden Warbler. Their melancholy song descends in scale and is unmistakeable. One of the commonest breeding birds in Ireland (about 1 million pairs), with the highest densities in stands of willows along the edges of bogs and marshes. Can be seen almost anywhere during migration. They’re widespread throughout the UK, and can be seen and heard from their arrival in early April right through to their migrations in September. 2296645), is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Woodland Trust. Willow Warblers are summer visitors, appearing in the UK from about late March or early April This tiny warbler has greenish-brown upper parts, You’ll hear the song from early April onwards and right through into the summer, but unlike the chiffchaff, you won’t hear it singing in autumn. Willow warblers spend their winters in Africa, so they have further to fly on migration than chiffchaffs. There are no winter records of Willow Warblers in Ireland. Willow warblers are active during the day, feeding on a variety of small insects and spiders, as well as fruits and berries in the autumn. The bill is pale brown and the legs are pale to dark brown. Chiffchaffs make a ‘chiff-chaff’ sound while willow warblers have a lovely warble that descends in scale. Their calls are almost identical, but in the autumn they rarely sing so the The willow warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) is a medium-sized, slender leaf-warbler between 11 and 12.5 cm long and weighing 7-15 g.The bird is a … We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. The closest I could find is a Willow Warbler but I’m really not sure. call. The song of the Willow Warbler is a musical descending series of notes, whereas that of Common Chiffchaff is an almost stuttering series that is responsible for the species’ onomatopoeic common name in several languages.