Tag your recipes and travels with #kevinandamanda. It’s better to visit Mount Sinai with a reputable private tour company instead of trying to go on your own (renting a car or hiring a taxi for example). Fax: 972-3-561-3699 (We have more information about Saint Catherine’s Monastery later in this post.). The last 1/2 mile is 750 stone steps up to the top of the mountain. Mount Sinai (Hebrew: הר סיני ‎ Har Sinai; Greek: Όρος Σινάι), traditionally known as Jabal Musa (Arabic: جَبَل مُوسَىٰ ‎, translation: Mount Moses), is a mountain in the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt that is a possible location of the biblical Mount Sinai, the place where Moses is said to have received the Ten Commandments. The trail is wide and well-worn. If you enjoyed this post, follow us day-to-day on Instagram @kevinandamanda! Regarding the second ascent, Exodus 24:16-18 states: And the glory of the Lord abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days; and the seventh day God called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud. So you could be waiting at the top for an hour or more in pitch darkness waiting for sunrise. If you’re planning a trip to Egypt and want to hike Mount Sinai, I highly recommend checking with both of these companies to compare details and prices on a private tour. I can’t imagine anyone going without reading this post first! Saudi Arabia lies southeast of Israel, below Jordan, which is directly to Israel’s east and the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt is southwest of Israel. We wanted to find a way to hike Mount Sinai during the day. It is 7,497ft high (2,285 meters) and is next to Mount Catherine, which is the highest peak in Egypt. 1. Also called the “Sacred Monastery of the God-Trodden Mount Sinai,” the monastery is located at the mouth of a gorge at the foot of Mount Sinai. It’s called the Camel Trail because it’s wide and flat enough to ride a camel. Sinai must be located outside of Egypt, but not a great distance away. Be sure to have cash for the guide. This place seems to be very beautiful.I’ll definitely go for hiking this year. ), How to Visit Nubia — The Colorful Nubian Village in Egypt, 5 Things You Absolutely MUST Do At The Dead Sea, What I Wish I Knew Before Skydiving In Dubai, Seaside Florida — One Of The Very Best Beaches In Florida, Best Philadelphia Restaurants For Every Meal Of The Day, What You Need To Know Before Visiting Eastern State Penitentiary. It is named after Catherine of Alexandria. Starting from the monastery, you will hike 2.5 miles up the “Camel Trail” — a steady, but not-too-steep incline. The center is staffed and provides answers on Sundays through Thursdays between 07:00 and 14:00 and Fridays only handles distribution requests between 7:00 and  And the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel. You don’t really need a guide, the path is very well marked, but this is required to keep the local Bedouin community employed. God called to him from within the bush, and Moses said “Here I am”. There are also a few Bedouin tents along the hike where you can buy snacks and Bedouin tea, but they will be more expensive. They picked us up from our hotel and on the way our guide gave us a refresher on all the Bible stories about Moses, the Ten Commandments, and everything we would see at the monastery like the Burning Bush and the Well where Moses met his wife. Skiing & Sledding at Le Massif in Quebec! Telephone +972-3-761-9056 We went to Mount Sinai with Gazef. Most people hike Mount Sinai with a tour group. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Mount Sinai is in the middle of the Sinai Peninsula, Egypt and rises 2,285 metres above sea level. It is central to our religion and it is the birthplace of one of the founding documents of world civilization. The Torah says that Shavuot is the festival of, The Jerusalem Post Customer Service Center can be contacted with any questions or requests: And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant – the Ten Commandments. At the peak are a Christian chapel and an Islamic mosque. Many places would not take us – they only did group tours at night. The true Mt. It took us about 4 hours total to hike Mount Sinai — 2 hours to go up, 1 hour at the top, and 1 hour to come back down. … When we went in April 2019, the price for a local guide was around 300 EGP ($20 USD). Why has the US sent B-52s back to the Middle East? Are Israel and the US planning to attack Iran? Some shepherds came along and drove them away, but Moses got up and came to their rescue and watered their flock.” The girls’ father invited Moses to eat and stay in his home. When Moses approached the bush, God said “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground.”, There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. The path down is 3,750 stone steps known as the Steps of Repentance. I’m seeing from other long shot pics that it was. There are many places to stop for views and rest along the way. Is the top of the mountain burned? Scorpion offered to take us during the day, leaving whenever we wanted, wait for us while we do the hike, and bring us back to the hotel. ;). But if you want to have the best experience, you really need to read this post first! It’s the perfect spot to sit and relax with a picnic lunch and take in the incredible views and reflect on the significance of this sacred place. Present yourself to me there on top of the mountain. The hike to the top of Mount Sinai starts at Saint Catherine’s Monastery. We had the entire trail and top of the mountain completely to ourselves in beautiful, sunny weather with amazing views. Finally we found a private tour company that would take us during the day, and I’m SO glad we did. E-mail: subs@jpost.com, Sign up for The Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $5, Upgrade your reading experience with an ad-free environment and exclusive content, Israeli scientists claim to reverse aging process. 13:00 Mount Sinai from Mapcarta, the free map. Another private tour company we considered was Scorpion Diving & Water-sports. The sages have declared that Shavuot is the anniversary of the giving of the Torah to the Children of Israel at Mt.