The  traditional version  of  Shakshuka -  poached  eggs  in  spiced  tomato sauce . A well season skillet – preferably cast  iron is  what  works  best for  this  recipe. Cook the meat first in a bit of extra virgin olive oil until fully browned, then add it to the shakshuka sauce to simmer along before adding the eggs (see the recipe notes below). Remove  the  seeds and  ribs  from the  bell pepper   and  the  green chili (if  using). This  is  an easy dish to make at  home , and  home  made  with  fresh ingredients  tastes  heavenly. Traditional shakshuka originally came from North Africa--Tunisia is said to be its place of birth--but it is quite popular in the Middle East and you'll find variations of it in Palestine, Israel, Egypt and many other places. The Ultimate Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Fall Flavors – Thai Red Curry with Squash and Tofu, Wattalappam  –  A  Creamy Tropical Custard From Sri Lanka. Yes ! Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Make  a  small indentation in the  sauce  with the back of  the  spoon and  break an egg into it. Add the  chopped fresh tomatoes,  stir  and  cover  with a  lid. A few warm spices and some fresh herbs complete this satisfying one-skillet dish! Very pretty dish. Add the onions, green peppers, garlic, spices, pinch … All in all, like your other recipes, this dish hits the mark. And I always season them at home again even though it says pre-seasoned. Looked at a few recipes and yours looked most like what I saw being maaaaaade. For a fine roasted flavor add smoked paprika. Saute over  medium heat for a  few minutes until the   onions  become  soft. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Adding zucchini to traditional shakshuka makes this vegetarian supper super filling. Space  the  eggs  a  little  away from each other. Mix   gently mash the  sauce with the  back of  the  spoon. Your Fresh Tomatoes Shakshuka look beautiful! Keywords: Easy Shakshuka Recipe, Shakshuka Eggs, Traditional Shakshuka, Tag @themediterraneandish on Instagram and hashtag it #themediterraneandish. ★☆ If you want to incorporate meat in this recipe, use about ½ pound of ground beef or ground lamb. Loved all the spices with the tomatoes and sauce. You are so kind, Chaheed! Your email address will not be published. I  like  to serve  it  with Challah –  may be  because  it  reminds  me   of   the  bread  and  poached  egg  curry   from  long  back in my mom’s  kitchen .. Important: Values are only estimates. Filed Under: Breakfast, Entree, Mediterranean Diet Recipes, Middle Eastern Recipes, Moroccan Recipes, Vegetarian Tagged With: eggs, gluten free, tomato. ★☆. Cook this sofrito mixture for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, To make the shakshuka sauce, add fresh diced tomatoes (about 6 vine ripe tomatoes) and ½ cup of tomato sauce (alternatively, you can use a 28-ounce can of whole tomatoes or 6 cups of canned diced tomatoes with their juices). The  traditional or the  most  common  version of   Shakshuka is poached  eggs  in a  flavorful tomato  based sauce. I'm Suzy. When  not  available one  28 oz  can of  crushed  tomatoes  and  jarred bell peppers  will  work well  too. My husband cannot do green peppers, can I use the yellow, orange or red ones instead? I like  to make  Shakshuka  with   fresh  tomatoes , but   must  warn you  , the  fresh    tomatoes  takes a  little  longer  to cook. Taste  and  adjust  salt  and  pepper. A few spices are added, and they may vary slightly from one recipe to another. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Learn how your comment data is processed. You can add more black pepper or crushed red pepper, if you like. Remove the  seeds  and  the  ribs  to reduce the  heat. There are  many variations of Shakshuka recipe. Cheers! Add the  chopped  bell peppers  and  saute for two minutes. Uncover and cook a bit longer to allow the mixture to reduce and thicken. This  helps  the  eggs  form  spreading  out  and  each one  ends  up being  in its  own  small  stew nest. Your recipes have opened up a world of taste for me without the need to spend a lot of money. Please join me and our growing community! ★☆ Shakshuka is easy to make and serve. ★☆ This post may include affiliate links. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes, then uncover and cook a few minutes until the tomato mixture (or shakshuka sauce) has thickened. Gently crack an egg into each indention. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I was born and raised in the cosmopolitan Mediterranean city of Port Said, Egypt, a "boat ride" away from places like Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel. Stir, and let the mixture come to … Chop into  small pieces  and  set  aside. Use  serrano or  similar. Add the onions, green peppers, garlic, spices, pinch salt and pepper.