Like Jiffy mix except it holds together GREAT, and no bitter chemical aftertaste. Ten Little Perfect Picnic Spots in WDW’s Fort Wilderness, Disney’s Fort Wilderness Loops & Site Details, Reddit’s Viral Old-School Baked Ziti is Glamping Worthy, Southern Soul Thanksgiving: Old-Fashioned Cornbread Dressing, Disney’s Most Comforting Dish: Art Smith’s Homecomin’ Mac & Cheese, OMG I Made Dollywood’s Cinnamon Bread and It Was THAT Good, The 8 Best Cabins in Fort Wilderness (and How to Get Them), 10 of the Very Best Sites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness (and They Play Hard-to-Get), How, Why and Where to RENT a Camper for Disney’s Fort Wilderness Campground, Thanksgiving to Go-Go: Where to Order Down-Home Turkey Dinner in Orlando. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Evidently Allrecipes put it in that category. After the butter has melted I proceed with adding the rest of the ingredients in that same pot. 7/24/10 I'd change the recipe if I could, but I can't figure out how, so I'll mention here that the normal baking time is 30 minutes. One of the decadent delights of life I’m grateful for this Thanksgiving is good ol’ southern cornbread dressing. I do NOT keep the butter and sugar mixture out when mixing the rest of the ingredients. I put 30-40 minutes in the directions because it takes longer when you use whole wheat flour, which I often do. First, I mix all ingredients in the pan I melt the butter in. It gives it such a wonderful buttery, crisp crust. 7/24/10 I'd change the recipe if I could, but I can't figure out how, so I'll mention here that the normal baking time is 30 minutes. The dressing is made thick enough that cooking time takes real nice care of this. First, I mix all ingredients in the pan I melt the butter in. Glad you are all enjoying this recipe. in this recipe, there’s no need to cook the onions and celery first. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. It’s not where the difference is made. I use a regular pot to melt my butter in. I do NOT mix everything in the pan I'm baking it in. 3/16/11 I never claimed this was a Southern recipe & couldn't figure out why some reviews pointed out that it wasn't. They baked up nicely with perfectly risen tops at 375 degrees for about 22 minutes. I always make a double batch, remove one from the pan after cooling, wrap it up and pop it in the freezer. It was a little on the sweet side, I will decrease the sugar a bit next time, as I am trying to decrease the sugar in my familys diet. Do not overcook. Amount is based on available nutrient data. (I like it sweet!) Third, it freezes fabulously. Grease an 8 inch square pan. . Thanks for all the rave reviews! I don't like too sweet ANYTHING and even tho' I was tempted to reduce the sugar after reading some of the reviews, sheer curiosity led me to prepare the entire recipe, including the amount of sugar, as is. Fabulous! Don’t buy premade cornbread! Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. 1/3 Cup Sugar – optional as I prefer to drizzle my cornbread slice with honey. Great flavor and just the right amount of sweet. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Evidently Allrecipes put it in that category. Very good recipe though I tweaked it a bit. Really good and easy. Hope that helps. Thanks for all the rave reviews! I reduced the sugar a little, but think it would be fine for the full amount if you like your cornbread a little sweet. Sorry! Spread the 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil in skillet or pan and heat for about 5 minutes at 450 degrees. I won't be buying those chemically mixes any more! On the other hand, don’t fret a Macon minute about using canned soup and canned broth. Use our quick and favorite one below adapted from the Lily White flour box. Awesome 5++ stars. And . These muffins were buttery, moist, just slightly sweet, hearty and surprisingly flavorful. From time to time, I may link to or discuss a product for which I receive affiliate or other compensation. This is my grandmother's cornbread recipe and it's the best - sweet and moist! Fabulous! well seasoned, well loved cast iron skillets. Pour batter in hot skillet and bake at 425 degrees for about 25. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. (I used 1 c milk and took out 1 TB and added 1 TB apple cider vinegar for the buttermilk, let sit 5 mins, worked great. Mixture should be very moist and even a bit runny. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Do not let it get too brown - maybe even ever-so-slightly underdone. Your email address will not be published. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Use 3/4 of the cornbread you'e prepared for the dressing. The Wilderness Princess is not affiliated, associated with, or endorsed by The Walt Disney Company or its subsidiaries. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Just loved this. (I like it sweet!) I followed Bethany's advice and mixed it in the pan I baked it in, but it was so hard to be careful to not slop everything out while stirring together to me it is definitely worth one more dish to mix together in a bowl next time! To the readers who had dry bread.... 1/4 lb not 1/4 cup butter!!! Well, no need to worry about the turkey this year. 7/24/10 I'd change the recipe if I could, but I can't figure out how, so I'll mention here that the normal baking time is 30 minutes. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Just wanted to mention a few things in response to some reviews. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. No true Southerner puts sugar in the cornbread. After all the ingredients are mixed in the pot I pour the batter into a baking pan. The secret of Southern cornbread is to heat the fat in a skillet and pour the batter into the hot skillet. ), Congrats! Tip: if you don't have buttermilk, decrease the milk by 2 tablespoons, and replace with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. It all comes down to the cornbread you use because that’s the main source of flavor and texture. Second, I often use whole wheat flour to cut sweetness and make it a tad more healthy.