To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account. Any child. Now that the last few weeks are here, its got me over thinking on everything! I always assumed that baby would be fine, but the lady I know who had a downs syndrome baby despite her risk factor has shook me up a bit. your baby could be that 1:35000 but more likely not. I was 34 at the time of testing. I had 2 MCs after that. Would you have continued with the pregnancy anyway? It's 1 in x number risk. My child. I've just been talking it through today with a consultant. Having a disabled child does not entitle you to look down upon anyone who would make a different choice for their child. Go and get an covid test? I was relieved, but it was still at the back of my mind. Is it fear of the unknown? Despite that, I know that something could still could wrong (same problem or something totally different) and there is bugger all that I or the best consultants on the planet can do. I had an opposite type of experience in that when I was pregnant with my son at 17 all my tests came back as low risk, in fact I had a 1:19000 chance of having a baby with ds, but my son was that 1! Well of course it has to happen doesn't it. The 20 week anomaly scan showed no problems. even if the harmony test would come back clear,. She said she would consider adoption due to her personal situation, of which we know nothing. Would you have had further tests? Not every disability is obvious at birth. But may the trouble is that where pregnancy and birth is concerned there are no guarantees! When I had my little girl in 2008 (I was 33) my risk was 1:6300 so I'm really worried now. I was given high risk for Downs - 1:148. But, prenatal testing does exist and it is one way of excluding some known health issues/ genetic disorders and this allows people to make the choice to terminate, offer for adoption etc if that is what they want to do. However, I often wonder what my NHS risk would have been if they had calculated it using the 2.5mm NT (which I believe to be correct) and not the 1.5mm! I have absolutely amazing ante-natal care this time. I wanted to be 100% certain there wasn’t any chromosome abnormality.no antenatal test can test for all chromosome abnormalities. I had my letter through this morning and yes officially it is low risk but 1:163 so only just. yez your very right Lunaticfringe. It’s such a personal decision, and deciding to terminate or adopt is not the same as saying people with disabilities shouldn’t exist! The doctor who scanned me at FMC basically said if the harmony test came back low risk then I could forget about Down syndrome and enjoy my pregnancy. It's worth asking why there's the fear (presumably because the screen's reliability has been called into question following the discovery that it didn't pick up a case the OP knew personally). This extra genetic material causes the developmental changes and physical features of Down syndrome.Down syndrome varies in severity among individuals, causing lifelong intellectual disability and developmental delays. I tried to be balanced (as much as its possible to be with my bias). This is page 1 of 2 (This thread has 30 messages.). I have a 5.5yr old ds and am 33 weeks with ds2, after two miscarriages last year. Especially when it's a fear without a particular reason. To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. We were told there was a 1 in 15 chance DD had Downs Syndrome. You did not have preterm labor, therefore you do not have an increased risk for prematurity. Wether certain disabilities might ever be eradicated never came into it when I decided having an amino was right for me. Are you focussing on DS because it can be tested for?I had a very low risk for DS with my first pregnancy. As many people have said the harmony test is a test for the most common genetic differences but it doesnt rule out other causes of learning disability, physical disabilities, mental health well being etc. Sore throat? Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters. Or safeguard from these occuring throughout anyones life. and I would not cope with another child with SN. If you choose to have a second or third child you are always taking that risk. There is no guarantee to have a healthy and developmental typical child. This extra genetic material causes the developmental changes and physical features of Down syndrome. rather than in my first pg, it didnt even cross my mind that anything might be wrong!!