October 29, 2014. wikimedia commons . BY Victoria DeRosa. Japanese mythology, body of stories compiled from oral traditions concerning the legends, gods, ceremonies, customs, practices, and historical accounts of the Japanese people. Most of the surviving Japanese myths are recorded in the Kojiki (compiled 712; “Records of Ancient Matters”) and the Nihon FOLK LEGENDS OF JAPAN takes you on a journey to a fairy-tale world of boy heroes, terrible ogres, animal antics, and more. Bunbuku Chagama. Japanese folklore encompasses the informally learned folk traditions of Japan and the Japanese people as expressed in its oral traditions, customs, and material culture. Yes, many of the Japanese tales do have them, but some of them…it beats me. Folk Legends. Japanese folklore is certainly not without its vampires, and perhaps the most bizarre is the jubokko, a blood-sucking tree. Shitakiri Suzume. A Japanese urban legend (日本の都市伝説, Nihon no toshi densetsu) is a story in Japanese folklore which is circulated as true. Miyazaki is a treasure trove of amazing places and stories, especially for someone like me, who has studied Japanese history, culture and society at university – but definitely for anybody interested in Japanese legends and folktales. 10 Horrifying Demons and Spirits from Japanese Folklore. In Japanese, the term minkan densh ō (民間伝承, "transmissions among the folk") is used to describe folklore. The academic study of folklore is known as minzokugaku (民俗学). Whether kids are befriending yokai or demon hunters are fighting oni, the extravagant spiritual figures and legends within Japanese mythology have done a good job of making themselves known and feared within anime. Tanabata. Spooky Japan. It’s so interesting how American stories are so different. The prefecture calls itself Shinwa no Sato, the “Home of Myths”, and is said to be the mythological origin of what we call Japan today. I’m used to having a tale with a moral, or some kind of teaching. Nezumi no Yomeiri. These urban legends are characterized by originating in or being popularized throughout the country of Japan. For this list, let's take a look at a few key anime that have taken heavy inspiration from Japanese mythology. Tengu no Kakuremino. Kintaro. Please check them out. Of the Japanese folktalkes that I’ve read, many end up being nothing like what I expect them to be. 10 Sarazanmai Sanmai no Ofuda. The Tigers are known to have the most fanatical supporters out of all the Japanese baseball teams. Sannen Netaro . See & Do Eerie Places in Africa With Most Spine-Chilling Urban Legends. History Paris' Most Mysterious Urban Legends. Read the stories from "once upon a time in Japan" that every Japanese kid grows up listening to. These trees had the misfortune of being located on battlefields, having developed their taste for blood by absorbing blood spilled onto the soil into their roots. Guides & Tips 8 Fascinating Myths and Legends From Northeast India. Picture here, Naoto Tsuru, ... 7 Japanese Anime That Are Actually Based on Myths and Legends.