While that seems like a stretch, I’d for sure blow $20 on a bottle of slime on the possibility before shelling out a couple grand on lasers, especially with no downtime or side effects to consider. 3. I went away for a week, and the first thing I packed was my slime, of course. I like Product 2 better because it contains more skin beneficial fruit extracts than Product 1. Dr. King recommends this highly concentrated serum for quick results or to aid in healing after skin procedures. . My skin doesn’t let me get away with much, and because of that, I shamefully admit that I don’t double-cleanse or let any oil touch my face. But the good ones can be pricey and a crapshoot, too, because heftier HA molecules are often too large to penetrate the skin. What appealed to me most about the idea of slapping snail mucus all over my face and neck — aside from staying true to my inner beauty warrior, and the fact that I’m getting paid to — was the hydration potential. Women's Health participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. DIY skin care is convenient, but whether pricey tools are worth your time and money is up for debate. But according to a March 2018 article in The Ringer, that study was funded by a French pharmaceutical company called Biopelle, which also happens to sell slime-laden products. The moisturizer wasn’t slimy at all—it just felt like normal moisturizer. I decided to order COSRX Snail Mucin Essence 96 to see if it would help my skin at all. “Historically many societies, especially ancient ones and more recently France, have used live snails as anti-aging 'devices,” says Gregory Bays Brown, MD, a plastic surgeon in New York City and the founder of the RéVive skin-care line. What is the difference between carnauba wax and microcrystalline wax, and why should you care? Too lazy to exfoliate? But studies are limited. But I was definitely intrigued. I was coming up on a month of sheer bliss — waking up to softer, smoother skin, fewer breakouts, less summer sebum production, a streamlined morning routine (aka more sleep), and a ton of savings on considerably pricier moisturizer — and things seemed too good to be true. However, after you pat the snail mucin into your face, its sliminess fades away as it dries, but it still leaves a slightly tacky presence on your face. “In the 1980’s Chileans snailbreeders found their hands to be very soft after handling the snails, leading to the Chilean snail cream, Elicina.”. Cho says the naturally occurring hyaluronic acid in the slime has a small molecular weight, making it absorbable, and along with the other smorgasbord of good-for-your-skin stuff, it’s supposed to make your skin feel soft and supple, sealing in moisture safely and being suitable for all skin types, including acne-prone skin that congests easily. So, all in all, you can expect skin to be softer, more moisturized and glowing with consistent use of snail mucin. Was it the slime making my skin gorgeous this last month? Here’s how things went down. “The hyaluronic acid helps in the anti-aging process as it hydrates the skin, and antimicrobial peptides have been known to help reduce acne and treat hyperpigmentation,” says Cho, whose New York City brick-and-mortar pop up, Soko House, opened recently to legions of snail slime devotees lining up around the block to snag the stuff in real life. But I was definitely intrigued. I racked my brain until it hit me. Working Out Based On Your Menstrual Cycle Is Legit, 7 Pro Athletes’ Top Hair Hacks For Summer, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. All those layers in the heat seem to hasten the formation of an oil slick on my face. And because I’m not a vegan, I really have no excuse to be a couple of years late to this trend. For example, the New York City plastic surgeon Matthew Schulman, MD, has created a buzz and snagged press attention with his $375 “EscarGlow Facial,” which injects snail mucin directly into your pores via microneedling. So if you hate the new formula, you may want to avoid products that contain sodium hydroxide, including this Organic Doctor snail gel (this is just a guess, though). It’s also prudent to note that Organic Doctor Snail Gel includes sodium hydroxide, which was the only ingredient that was present in the new version of the CeraVe PM moisturizer formula update, but not in the old version.