It was also grown in ancient Egypt, possibly for use in embalming. The Potential of Use Basil and Rosemary Essential Oils as Effective Antibacterial Agents. Backed by his 40-year remodeling career, Danny served as the home improvement expert for CBS’s The Early Show and The Weather Channel for more than a decade. 3) To soothe a headache add about 5 basil leaves to boiling water and continue to boil for a few minutes then cool. You're welcome! Congratulations, Desireé! how to harvest basil without killing the plant, How to Make a DIY Plant Stand with Quikrete, Container Gardening: How to Grow Flowers in Pots, Today’s Homeowner Radio Show for July 6, 2013, How to Host Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving Potlucks. Final Harvest: At the end of the season (before the first frost), cut the stems to the ground and pick off all the leaves. However, if you were ambitious in your planting, you may be wondering what on earth you’re going to do with all this goodness! and last year, I came across a recipe for BASIL JAM! It really does! I have not heard of making a tea with basil but perhaps I'll try it. 6) Fresh Basil can be crushed and applied to a bug bite or sting to draw out the poisons and stop the itching. I am so going to try it on bug bites. All basil is heat- and sun-loving, regardless of variety. There were some physicians in the 1500's that believed that smelling too much basil would cause scorpions to breed in your brain! It's only my second year using it for winter gardening, but I love it!Lisa. I would like to know how to make the basil jam.that sounds delicious. In a few weeks, your basil plants will be ready to harvest again. see a Dr if you are ill. 8 Reasons why plants love cinnamon (These really work! im growing basil common and thia basil and mint now in my Aerogardner. It can be used to soothe the stomach, calm a cough or take the sting out of a bug bite. I've read that rubbing crushed Basil on a wart daily will help remove it. You have entered an incorrect email address! I am a basil aficionado too:). Fresh basil leaves should be kept in the refrigerator layered in damp paper towels and stored in a plastic bag where they will last up to four days. I’m proud of myself, because this is the first time that I ever grown basil especially on the balcony of my apartment. I served it over a block of cream cheese, with raspberry jalapeno jam and stone wheat crackers!!! I like to diffuse 2 drops basil, 2 drops grapefruit and 1 drop peppermint when I'm trying to focus on a big project. Didn’t know about it’s medicinal uses, so Thank you for the information. ), Health benefits of eating gelatin daily (a 3 month challenge). It's my favorite go to tea! 278: Pet Health and Natural Remedies With Full Bucket Health, reducing blood glucose, risk of heart attacks and cholesterol level. The easiest way to use it is in tea. It was my husband, Steve, who came up with this easy, foil-packet recipe for flaky, fork-tender Lemon Basil Salmon. Add the stems to the compost pile, and bring the leaves indoors for an afternoon of cooking and preserving. Want gardening and healthy living information sent right to your email weekly? I am so happy that I came across your article on how to store and use this amazing plant. All rights reserved.. Powered by, I grow many different herbs every year and my favorite by far is Sweet Basil. This year, I grew basil more than ever. I have moved my plants indoor and hope to use them all winter long and take them back outside next spring. Thanks! Your first task is to remove the leaves from the stems, discard any dead or spotted leaves, rinse the basil thoroughly, and allow it to air dry (or pat dry with a towel). Final Harvest: At the end of the season (before the first frost), cut the stems to the ground and pick off all the leaves. I put it in containers on my front covered porch, back deck and my vegetable garden in between my tomatoes. My first year for growing herbs in my small yard. Plus basil is natural as opposed to drugstore remedies! Basil is one of those herbs that almost everyone is familiar with, especially chefs! 1) Basil is a member of the mint family so it should come as no surprise that it's often used to settle the stomach. Though basil is mostly known for its prominence in Italian cooking it was originally found in India and Asia a solid 5000 year ago.