I tried this recipe just this evening, it was just as amazing as I thought! This is entirely different then the Russian and Polish stuffed cabbage but equally delicious! This recipe looks amazing! In casserole, arrange rolls in layers, seasoning each layer with pepper. Saute onion until tender but not brown, about 4 minutes. Then shut the heat off. I definitely want to make this often, and I made a bunch so I can freeze the rest, I enjoy stuffed cabbage for lunch, supper and even as a snack from time to time! I must have done something wrong because I wound up with 14 cabbage rolls (though I feel lucky we have leftovers and enough for my parents too). Add the tomatoey stuff and enough water to just cover the rolls. Hope that helps and Guten Appetit! Cover and remove from heat; let stand for 20 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. I always make a greater amount of cabbage rolls and freeze them in 2 or 3 portions. Heat the Butterschmalz and oil on medium-high heat. Thank you for this old-world recipe. Hi William, wow, I am super impressed, your wife must have been very happy. German stuffed cabbage rolls are filled with minced meat, are braised. My next challenge is an authentic Sauerbraten. Brigitte actually used a 50/50 mixture of Moose meat (my brother is a hunter. Your email address will not be published. Makes about 24 cabbage rolls. Add broth and simmer covered for about 20-30 minutes. Line bottom of 12 cup casserole with cabbage trimmings and any torn or tiny leaves. (If rolls seem too dry, add a little hot water to casserole during baking.) ; ), Hi Mike, thank you so much for your comment, I am really excited that you want to give my recipe a try. Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress. In deep pot or bowl, place cabbage and pour boiling water directly into hollow of core, then cover completely with boiling water. Depending on the region, German cabbage rolls are called Krautwickel or Kohlrouladen in Germany. I would like to find the recipe that uses the potato Baueren Brot. Is it easier if i make the beef mixture tonight and put them together tomorrow early morning? 3 %, Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Golabki / Golumkies / Golumpkis), Crock Pot Swedish Cabbage Rolls (The Best!!!!!!). I personally think cabbage rolls are even better if you re-heat them. Break the bread slices into a small bowl and cover with warm milk. This is a good recipe to serve for Oktoberfest. https://alltastesgerman.com/german-recipes/main-dishes/cabbage-rolls Thank you so much for the feedback, it means a lot to us. Made it for my wife’s birthday, so knowing it would take extra time to make was no problem. I lived in Germany 4 years I was an Army dependent in high school. Then wrap the patties with pre-cooked cabbage leaves and secure the ends with a toothpick. I was familiar with Polish and Russian stuffed cabbage, and I love both of those stuffed cabbage recipes, when I found the recipe for German stuffed cabbage I knew I had to try it! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/vegetarian-cabbage-rolls It reminds me of Germany real food from Deutschland. https://www.thespruceeats.com/german-cabbage-rolls-simple-1447073 Have you ever had braised cabbage leaves? I am so glad I found this web page! Here in Germany, there is really only one traditional recipe for stuffed cabbage roll. Place rolls in a roaster or dutch oven. I loved it, especially it’s authenticity and flavorful gravy. Cut the core out of the cabbage and add it with salt to a large pot. And then tomorrow you just need to cook it on medium-low until they are ready. https://germanculture.com.ua/main-dishes/kohlrouladen-german-cabbage-rolls Brigitte’s Tips for cabbage roll recipe: Brigitte did not mix the meat filling in the video. In saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Thank you. Cover and bake in 350 F. (180 C) oven for 2 hours or until tender. The rest heat of the sauce will cook the meat enough to be safe, but will not make the dish soggy. I hope you will continue to visit our blog and find many recipes you like. While the rolls can be cooked at 350f for a couple of hours and turn out quite edible, cooking at 250f for 5-6 hours will produce a mellower flavour and more tender cabbage … Bring to boil, stir well and pour over cabbage rolls. These Traditional German Cabbage Rolls are called Kohlrouladen or Krautwickel in Germany. Traditional German Cabbage Rolls. I am sure you will have no problem to make authentic Sauerbraten, as this recipe is easier and way less work than the cabbage rolls. have a blessed day Learn how to make your homemade cabbage rolls like at good old Oma´s house. I don´t know many husbands who cook such an amazing birthday dinner. Hi Angela, My name is Lorraine.I have a question: im planning to bring this for work tomorroe for our potluck. Add bacon and brown for a couple of minutes. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. God bless you and your family! Place 1 or 2 spoonfuls of meat mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll up, tucking in ends. In saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Total Carbohydrate Hi Lorraine, what a great idea for a potluck. Required fields are marked *. Will you give me a suggestion when should i make this? The amount of cabbage rolls always varies depending on the size of the cabbage leaves, I am sure you did nothing wrong and I agree leftovers are always soo good. Let stand a few minutes until leaves are supple. Add the ground meat to a large bowl and then add the eggs, pepper, salt, ground marjoram, paprika powder, mustard, garlic paste, and the onions. Im not sure if its a good idea to cook the cabbage tonight and my concern is if it will be soggy by tomorrow morning? Bring to boil, stir well and pour over cabbage rolls. Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is lightly browned. Butterschmalz plus 1 tbsp. It made my day knowing that you like the recipes and that they remind you to your time in Germany. Mix cold water with corn starch and add to the pot. You can discard the milk. https://recipeland.com/recipe/v/german-cabbage-rolls-kohlroulad-57726 . Place 1 or 2 spoonfuls of meat mixture on each cabbage leaf and roll up, tucking in ends. Remove the cabbage rolls from the pot and set aside. The one that I posted is one of my favorites, you are absolutely right – anything with bacon is really good , I love the German cabbage roll recipe in fact I like every recipe that I have seen and tried so far. Bis Spater von Tennessee, Thank you so much for this amazing comment. 12 g Spread the leaves on a clean kitchen towel to cool to the touch. God bless you and your family! https://food52.com/recipes/39846-german-kohlrouladen-stuffed-cabbage-rolls In casserole, arrange rolls in layers, seasoning each layer with pepper. It´s true different cultures have different recipes and even the different regions in Germany have a lot of different recipes. I have about ten recipes that I cook alternating. Erin, I am so excited you gave this recipe a try and liked our cabbage rolls. I can make my own Baueren Brot. Add the cabbage rolls and let simmer for 10 additional minutes. Thank you for the recipes, and step by step videos! Serve with rice or Salzkartoffeln. Thank you. This is not a super-fast and simple recipe, but the work involved is worth it as this is a great tasting dish and makes some great freezer meals. Sometimes I use two leaves instead of one for each roll because I love them so much! German Cabbage Rolls dinner with Gravy and potatoes ready to serve. (180 C) oven for 2 hours or until tender. Use her recipe and mix it up like a meatloaf. neutral vegetable oil. https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/cabbage-rolls-recipe.html In saucepan, combine rice, stock and salt. Liebe Grüße nach Tennessee, Your email address will not be published. Anything with bacon in it has got to be better! I hope you will give it a try and let us know how it turned out. Mix everything briefly, then add the bread crumbs and mix until everything is well combined. German Stuffed Cabbage Rolls – Ingredients, Taste & Texture.