I have some sherry vinegar on hand so I think I’ll try that instead of the cider vinegar. I ended up adding a tablespoon of brown sugar and a squirt of balsamic glaze to mellow it out. If you don’t have access to endive, feel free to substitute butter lettuce. Elise is dedicated to helping home cooks be successful in the kitchen. Toss to combine. All photos and content are copyright protected. This is a perfect winter salad. Season to taste with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. I’m so glad you made it Rhonda! Grape and Walnut Side Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing, Endive Salad with Walnuts, Pears, and Gorgonzola, Read more about our affiliate linking policy, 3 endive heads, sliced first lengthwise, then crosswise in 1/2-inch slices, 2 tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola or other blue cheese, 2 teaspoons cider vinegar (balsamic is good too), Sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. I love how well the pears go with endive or radicchio in this salad. You saved Winter Endive Salad to your. It is amazing and colorful! This very simple salad makes great use of heartier greens like endive and watercress and balances their bite with the sweetness of pomegranate. Elise Bauer is the founder of Simply Recipes. Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. I look forward to making it with endive. I think this might have worked better with arugula instead of watercress but I don't plan to make it again. Of that one-third, only slightly more than half was taken by guests. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. My mouth is watering as I type! I used less oil than called for in the dressing - just a personal preference. I'm so happy this was published. Thanks anyway. Let my experience serve as guidance for people who make this tasty dish for parties. Perfect for the fall! Nov 29, 2012 - Explore California Endive Farms's board "endive salads", followed by 639 people on Pinterest. Trim away the very end of the endives and cut lengthwise into quarters. I bought mountain, not dolce, Gorgonzola. Just wanted to say that I made this salad using a handful of cress with some other mixed greens as I could not find any endive or other substitutes. Please try again later. 173 calories; protein 3.4g 7% DV; carbohydrates 11.2g 4% DV; fat 14g 22% DV; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 82mg 3% DV. Hello again! Hello! Elise launched Simply Recipes in 2003 as a way to keep track of her family's recipes, and along the way grew it into one of the most popular cooking websites in the world. Add the arugula and toss. Endive is one of my guilty pleasures. I just tried this using the above tweeks, and added another – radicchio instead of endive (store was out). Place the chopped endive in a large bowl. Read more about our affiliate linking policy. Okay, you can say that it had been my choice to follow the precept. The shallot is a must; it adds depth. Some of the other lettuces in the chicory family would work as well—curly endive, escarole, frisee, radicchio. 2 Drizzle olive over the salad. Zest the or… Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Mix apple, endives and almondds together in a bowl. Elise is a graduate of Stanford University, and lives in Sacramento, California. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Did you know you can save this recipe and order the ingredients for. I'd like to add toasted pecans to it next time. It's so pretty. Thanks for waiting. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. 1 Place the chopped endive in a large bowl. The tartness of the lemon juice and zest in the dressing balanced nicely with the sweetness of the pomegranate. We’re here to help you put dinner (and breakfast and lunch) on the table with less stress and more joy. Thank you! Thanks for the inspiration, Elise. Whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; drizzle over the salad immediately before serving. This was OK--not bad but not great. Toss thoroughly and serve. The flavors just didn't blend well for me. Citrus and Endive with Walnut Gremolata. This is a quick and easy endive salad recipe, chopped endive tossed with chopped pears, walnuts, and crumbled gorgonzola, and drizzled with oil and vinegar. Spread the watercress on a platter. Have these ingredients delivered or schedule pickup SAME DAY! It's one of my favourite winter salada. DIRECTIONS. Toss the avocados and endive with the vinaigrette. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Congrats! This was a great salad…I could not find really ripe pears so I added honey to brighten up the flavor…everyone loved it! Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition My shallot was way too strong so I skipped that. First time commenting? Mix the dressing and pour on salad. I still needed to add some stevia to soften the bite of the lemon. Mix apple, endives and almondds together in a bowl. But even so, I would have to say that “serves 2 or 3” should be applied only when this salad is going to be served as a main course. Even though fresh out of the refrigerator, it was uncrumbleable, regardless whether I used the fork mashing method or the finger method. I can’t wait to try this with one of my fresh, ripe, organic pears! Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Crisp fall salad with sliced endive, walnuts, chopped pear, and blue cheese. Over the years I’ve outsmarted myself many times making recipes! Whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; drizzle over the salad … Endive.com - The story, the man from Sacramento, and the farm behind California grown endive. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Yeah, Alan, my sympathies to you. Also I used only half the lemon and zest and I juiced the pom because I don't like the texture of the seeds. Add the walnuts, crumbled gorgonzola, and chopped pears. Toss thoroughly and serve. My pear tree exploded with fruit this year! Info. Cut the heads of endive in half lengthwise, remove the triangle of core at the base of each half so the leaves separate, and cut the leaves in half again lengthwise. Excellent salad. The bite of the lemon and shallot work really well with the sweetness of the pom seeds.