Rhubarb contains oxalate acid, which if consumed in large enough amounts, can cause serious illness. Most comments suggested to eat the rhubarb dipped in sugar, salt, maple syrup, honey, flavoured gelatin ("Jello"), or sliced over ice cream! So, there you have it - as with many other vegetables, (remember that rhubarb is a vegetable), eating fresh raw rhubarb, especially dipped in a sweet dip is definitely a way to eat this veggie! Here is a copy of a few of the comments posted on. ... Used to eat it raw with sugar when I was a kid, loved it, now every time I see rhubarb, I am a kid again. Read also: Best Rhubarb Substitutes . :). To eat rhubarb solo, dip the stalk into sugar or honey to help mellow out that tart taste. Recently I posted the following question on You can turn rhubarb into all kinds of crisps, tarts and crumbles. To eat rhubarb solo, dip the stalk into sugar or honey to help mellow out that tart taste. Stick to the stems if you’re eating rhubarb raw—the leaves are poisonous. Before you harvest rhubarb, consult our helpful how-to guide! Rhubarb is exceptionally sour, making it hard to eat raw or without sugar. ... Used to eat it raw with salt as a kid. 1 0. gypsy50309 I found this strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe on a box of Quaker Oats about 20 years ago. Ricotta Scones with Rhubarb-Orange Compote, How to Make Ross Geller’s “Moist Maker” Sandwich, How to Make Peanut Butter Cinnamon Snap Cutouts, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. It's versatile, too, because you can add strawberries in spring or apples in fall. Many people posted that, YES! And some say the fifties weren't as golden as they are made out to be, but my childhood was, definitely. The leaves should not be eaten but the stalks are edible, if you eat too much raw rhubarb stalk you will get a stomach ache. I'd pick rhubarb first, then peas, strawberries and finish my feast with raspberries from the copious hedge between us and neighbours. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. As suggested I used fresh, tender rhubarb stalks, washed them, and sliced them into thin strips. I used to take a handful of sugar to my den, behind the blackcurrant bushes at the other end of the plot. Add some stalks to your salad or pie or eat them raw in order to reap all great benefits this fruit has. Yes, you can eat rhubarb raw as long as you are eating the vegetable’s correct parts, because some are actually poisonous to humans. So if you’re wondering can you eat rhubarb raw?, the answer is you bet! It was also suggested to use tender stalks, and if desired to … 6. I have a friend that says her mom used to give them a package of jello to dip their rhubarb raw in on a warm summer day! Yes, the green part of rhubarb is edible. You may want to adjust the sugar to your own tastes. In its raw state, the “pie plant” is pretty sour. You can even make rhubarb jam. But, now I have been made aware of the fact that many people savor eating “the pie plant” raw! Best to cook it first, tastes much better cooked too. Did you? I LOVE my Inexpensive, Easy-to-Use Knife Sharpener -. These days, she's hung up her wine key in favor of a pen and covers all aspects of food and drink. :), TOP of Eating Raw RhubarbRETURN to Rhubarb Nutritional InformationHOME to Homepage, ©2010-2020  Rhubarb-Central.com All Rights Reserved WorldwideNo Reproduction Permitted Without the ExpressedWritten Consent of the Site Owner, ★ Please use the "Like" button above to help keep this free rhubarb resource website alive. This means a person would have to eat between 5.7–11.7 pounds (2.6–5.3 kg) of rhubarb leaves for a potentially lethal dose of oxalate, depending on the concentration of oxalate in the leaf. Many website visitors to Rhubarb-Central.com ask if you can eat rhubarb raw. As the saying goes ... you learn something new every day! Please comment......thanks!! Thanks! Cook and stir on low heat until the rhubarb is tender. It's much too tart tasting for my taste buds, but I do recall a neighbor claiming that she ate rhubarb raw, by dipping the stalk in sugar. :), Talisman Designs Adjustable Pie Crust Shield, BPA-free Silicone, Taylors of Harrogate Sweet Rhubarb Infusion Teabags. *FTC Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying, this free rhubarb resource website alive. ... yes, I eat it raw. But you don’t need to heat your rhubarb to enjoy it. (But don’t stress, we’re talking several pounds’ worth of leaves). I usually pop it into the oven shortly before we sit down to eat so it's still warm for dessert! You can even add thin strips of raw rhubarb to a slaw. She embarked on a career in hospitality where she excelled as a sommelier and wine director. Sugar or salt? It's quick and easier to make than pie. Many people posted that, YES! more nutritious than cooked. It gives your teeth a super squeaky clean feel. Is Your Rhubarb "Stringy" when you cut it? I can still eat raw rhubarb! They enjoy eating raw rhubarb. You can’t cure high blood pressure by eating plenty of rhubarb and you may not feel fantastic results at once, but studies show that rhubarb has a positive impact on blood pressure, when eaten in moderation. You just may like it - like we did! The acid is most highly concentrated in the leaves, which should never be eaten, either raw or cooked. I repeat: Rhubarb leaves are poisonous. You can also whip up a raw rhubarb compote and add it to your morning bowl of homemade yogurt . Most folks know that rhubarb is red, and that’s true. To learn more about this vibrant vegetable, look through our rhubarb guide. Try it! Prevent constipation Think Granny Smith apple sour! But, ... Parsnips are also a great source of vitamin C, and you'll actually get slightly more of the antioxidants when you eat them raw rather than cooked, according to …