The yogurt is then mixed with herbs, scallions, and hot chili peppers to make Jajik. Twist the bag from the top, to begin draining the whey from the yogurt. She would place the yogurt in cloth and suspend it over the faucet, allowing the liquid (whey) to drain out. I've never heard of anyone using this mystery ingredient in their Jajik, so I'm not sure where she came up with the idea to use it. If a recipe calls for ½ cup of strained yogurt, you might want to start with 1 ½ cups to be safe. My grandmother's Jajik, however, was always prepared using Labneh. Although I wouldn't eat them on their own, I do highly recommend them in this Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese recipe! Many of these differences are based on the county or even tribe that the recipe contributor is from. Start by transferring the yogurt from its container to a soup bag. Mulberry Recipes (including Mulberry Jam) ». The "cream cheese" was then mixed with fresh herbs (don't even think about dried) and vegetables. I will make it for you one of these days. Make-your-own labneh! Here’s what you need to do: First thing’s first: choose your yogurt wisely. I recently teased some of my Instagram followers about the fact that my grandmother's Jajik had a secret ingredient that I may or may not share in this post. You Are Here This is an interesting recipe. I'm the author of Mom's Authentic Assyrian Recipes. Place a bowl under the draining yogurt to catch the whey. This delicious Assyrian cheese spread is served for breakfast or as an appetizer; I especially love it on toasted Sourdough or Seed Crackers. Your plate is beautiful! Then let me show you how to use unique ingredients to make delicious ethnic dishes. Though there were many guesses, no one was able to figure out what that secret ingredient was. The yogurt is then mixed with herbs, scallions, and hot chili peppers to make Jajik.This delicious Assyrian cheese spread is served for breakfast or as an appetizer; I especially love it on toasted Sourdough or Seed Crackers. Yes, you can make labneh with Greek yogurt--the draining process will take less time because Greek yogurt is already dense. ‍♀️ There are so many variations that sometimes I wonder if we are even referring to the same recipe! Of course, the options for topping labneh are limitless. Try it in pancakes, cheesecakes, salads, toast—the possibilities are endless. As I understand it, you add lemon juice and salt to Greek yogurt and then let the mixture strain. I've recently joined an Assyrian cooking group on Facebook with over 10,000 members. Take Jajik, for example. Suspend the bag from the faucet and allow the liquid to drain. Give these ideas a try: Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese is known as Labneh in the Middle East.Labneh is prepared by draining yogurt of its whey. Traditionally, labneh is served as part of a mezza (or meze) spread, made up of dishes like hummus, baba ghanoush, falafel, stuffed grape leaves, and lots of pita. Top this thickened, spreadable yogurt with a drizzle of olive oil and … Don't be ashamed to buy plain yogurt over Greek; it's often cheaper and isn't as strong in flavor. Similar to other dairy products (for example, sour cream). Some people might be allergic to marigolds, so please use caution when including them. Yields vary dramatically – if you use a good quality thick, full fat Greek yogurt a 500g pot will result in about 350g of labneh and about 150ml of whey, depending on how long you leave it to strain. Marigolds are commonly planted next to vegetables because they act as a deterrent to common garden pests. Don’t substitute low fat or fat-free yogurt in this recipe. My quantities were adjusted to the goat milk yogurt size that was available to me (125 gram or 450 gram tubs). Labneh results when the whey gets strained out of yogurt, leaving a thick, creamy, not-quite-firm cheeselike substance that can be used as a dip, spread, or stir-in ingredient. There are those who prepare it with farmer's cheese, while others use cottage cheese or cream cheese. For how delicious labneh is, it’s shockingly easy to make. And depending on the thickness of your yogurt, you may want to use two layers of cheesecloth instead … Greek yogurt can be used as a substitute in dips, dressings and toppings. Greek yogurt, however, is a much healthier option and contains less fat. It's a link to her recipe, Homemade Labneh. Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. But we can eat labneh as a snack on its own or as part of a lighter main meal. Place You may have noticed that Greek yogurt and homemade yogurt contain a lot of liquid (whey) that rises to the surface of the yogurt. You can use the same amount as you would Greek yogurt. I wouldn't advise a straight substitution because the flavor and consistent of the tart will be different. As an Amazon Associate I earn a small percentage from qualifying Amazon purchases. Labneh is a bit thicker than Greek yogurt - almost like soft cream cheese. The texture of the two cheeses is different. The leaves add a slightly spicy flavor that I absolutely love! Pumpkin Soup Recipe (made with roasted pumpkin), Venison Stew Recipe (pressure cooker or stove-top), Turkey Pot Pie (using Thanksgiving leftovers). It's marigold leaves! Wash the soup bag, then wring out and hang to dry to reuse at a later time. Read the article and click on that link about Rivka's comments on labneh. Labneh. Home » Appetizers » Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese | Labneh Jajik, Published: May 18, 2020 Updated: Aug 7, 2020 by Hilda Sterner | This post may contain affiliate links 2 Comments. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook! It may be served as an accompaniment to breakfast or as a snack with fruit or stirred into cooked dishes instead of sour cream or milk. Labneh is smoother and doesn't crumble the way feta does, although the longer you let it drain the firmer it gets. Remove the yogurt from the soup bag and place it in a bowl. The flowers have a mild, pleasant taste that might even go unnoticed if added in recipes. The remaining product makes a thick, spreadable cheese. For dips, straining for a few hours will be long enough. I really don't think it's necessary. I love your presentation of it. The volume will be reduced by more than half depending on how long you strain it, so plan accordingly. For any recipe that calls for Greek yogurt, you can substitute exactly the same amount of plain yogurt. Some people mix softened butter in with the Jajik. Still, some use a combination of cream cheese, cottage cheese, and butter. Marigold leaves, however, have a much stronger taste that I would compare to basil. It's tangier and creamier than yogurt, and it's meant to be eaten with savory ingredients. This was usually an overnight process and was the method my mom taught me. This includes cheesecake recipes and dips.The reason that the substitution works is that Greek yogurt and sour cream have a similar texture and taste. The goat’s milk has a different flavor and is very smooth and silky. Enjoy with crackers, pita, or toasted bread. After all, what do bugs know? So what is grandma's secret ingredient? You can use Greek yogurt to make the labneh. In tradition, Greek yogurt is made from goats milk while labneh is made from cow's milk. Mix in the minced chives, scallions, dill, Serrano pepper, sea salt, and marigold leaves, if using. Required fields are marked *. Labneh is prepared by draining yogurt of its whey. Made by straining yogurt past the point of even Greek yogurt, labneh (aka labane, lebni, labne, or lebnah) is thick and spreadable, and sometimes appropriately called "yogurt cheese." Thanks, Kelly! Your email address will not be published. If you use a thinner lower fat yogurt the yield can be half the amount. It's slightly less creamy and tangy, but it's essentially Greek yogurt's cousin. Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese is known as Labneh in the Middle East. Line the colander with the cheesecloth, add the yogurt, and set it over a bowl to drain for up to 24 hours. Other good ideas include smoked paprika, scallions, sumac or simply salt and pepper. Tried this recipe? Nevertheless, it's a nutritional powerhouse— high in protein, low in sugar, and full of calcium. A delicious, Cream Cheese spread made with tangy Greek or homemade yogurt. Otherwise, it can take four or more hours until it's completely drained. This is a popular Middle Eastern food. Labneh is made from fresh yogurt which has been well strained to remove all the whey. Are you looking for a little inspiration and perhaps some new recipes? The following is a list of some of these mix-in options. As for using labneh as a substitute for feta,I would say it depends on how you want to use it. Line a large sieve with cheese-cloth; set over a medium deep bowl. To add to the confusion, there are also those that refer to Buried Cheese as Jajik. Plain Yogurt Lara Taniguchi. Remove the yogurt from the soup bag and place it in a bowl. 7. Your email address will not be published. As soon as you remove the yogurt from the soup bag, give the bag a quick wash in the sink, wring it out, and hang it to dry so that it's available the next time you need it. I recommend leaving it overnight, undisturbed. It's been very eye-opening to see the vast differences in some of the Assyrian recipes that are shared.