In the multiple-choice, open-ended question of Bruce Conner’s fascinating and enduringly salient career, the answer is always: e) All of the above. "Crossroads" replays, at ever slower speeds, official footage of a hydrogen bomb detonation on Bikini Atoll, until repetition - 27 times - and slow motion transfigure its colossal destructiveness into something hypnotically beautiful. A through-line in his career was a willingness -- perhaps even a compulsion -- to throw a playful wrench into art business as usual. Growing up with Bruce was such Fun. in 1949' we danced the Swing, in Lee Streiff's living room to: "String of Pearls" by Glenn Miller and in 62' we danced to "Wha'd I...", "Having lived next door to Bruce in Wichita for almost 20 years I knew him pretty well than. I'm glad I got the chance to know him then. Care about what’s happening in Bay Area arts? Bruce enjoyed biking, restoring his vintage MGB car, fly-fishing, and writing short stories and articles. ", "My Greatest condolences to Jean. We found 92 entries for Bruce Conner in the United States. Bruce A. Conner, please click here to visit our Sympathy Store. Using stock educational footage, Hollywood B-roll and his own camerawork, Conner’s quick cuts and purposeful use of filmic conventions still mesmerize -- nowhere more so than Three Screen Ray, a frenetic three-channel projection set to the tune of Ray Charles’ “What’d I Say.” It's All True is interspersed with 10 of Conner's film pieces. He continues to review fiction and nonfiction books for The Chronicle, in addition to reporting on all aspects of the visual arts regionally and, on occasion, nationally and internationally. Buy online, view images and see past prices for BRUCE CONNER | Death Scene. In the late 1950s, he began making short movies that proved highly influential and established him as one of the seminal figures in the history of independent, avant-garde filmmaking. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Jean, and their son, Robert... "For Bruce...an iconoclastic artist and avant-garde filmmaker of the Beat era who gained international admiration for his work. Everyone hated it. Born on March 24,1929 in Kaymoor Bottom, West Virginia, Bill was the eldest son of Roy C. and Effie (Radford) Conner. ". Memorial contributions may be made to Cancer Association of Shelby County, P.O. He tried to show the collages in 1967 under actor, filmmaker and photographer Dennis Hopper's name, but -- in a phrase that becomes familiar over the course of It’s All True -- the “proposal was rejected.” Instead, he published three volumes of DENNIS HOPPER ONE MAN SHOW, etchings of his collaged etchings, with Crown Point Press in the early '70s. If you need help finding the right words, view our. Bruce was only two years older than me back in Wichita.

William B. Conner 1929-2020

William "Bill" Bruce Conner, age 91, of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, passed away October 8, 2020 at his beloved home, “Hillbrook”.  Born on March 24,1929 in Kaymoor Bottom, West Virginia, Bill was the eldest son of Roy C. and Effie (Radford) Conner.  He attended Virginia Polytechnic Institute and was a member of the Cadet Corp.  Following graduation, Bill was commissioned and served as a 1st Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.  He married Sara J. Goater on December 18, 1952 and together welcomed two children, Deborah Jane and Jeffry Preston.  Following his commitment with the Air Force, Bill was valued for 30 plus years with the DuPont Company in various accounting and managerial positions.  

A model train buff, enthusiastic gardener and active volunteer in many church and civic organizations, Bill most relished his role as a family man - first as a husband and father, then as an uncle, grandfather and great-grandfather.  He was known for his deliberate, thoughtful and unhurried approach and giving spirit.  While “Hillbrook” was his home for more than 50 years, he enjoyed traveling, especially to Florida, Downeast, Maine, and his hunting property, “Camp Conner” in Ohl, Jefferson County, PA.

Bill was predeceased by his brother, Glenn H. Conner. Moving to San Francisco in 1957, Conner became involved with the Beatniks. I knew he had artistic talent and he certainly proved it later. Bruce was married and divorced twice, but his family and close friends gave him loving support as his health failed. Box 844, Shelbyville, IN 46176. Bruce Conner, Still from ‘BREAKAWAY,’ 1966. Over six decades, he worked in nearly every media available to artists of his generation, purposely defying both market forces and … They remain some of the most powerful inventions of their kind in American art. I will keep you all in my Prayers. Schooled in art at Wichita University, the University of Nebraska and Brooklyn Art School, Mr. Conner first got noticed for the short films he assembled from scavenged documentary and B-movie footage. Bruce Conner, a San Francisco artist renowned for working fluently across media, died at his home of natural causes on Monday. Here's what that means for Bay Area real estate. In the summer of 2014 the Department of Painting and Sculpture approached sculpture conservation to inquire if Bruce Conner’s work CHILD could be restored. But he continued pursuing his passion for art till his last breath. He continued to live and work in San Francisco, until his death in 2008. It’s All True is on view at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Oct. 29, 2016–Jan.