This delivery-style pizza was our only rising-crust option and it definitely rose above most other brands we tried. There was no correlation between taste and price or brand recognition. It’s perfectly seasoned. They didn’t taste fresh and our testers all agreed that these additions took away from the overall flavor. The DiGiorno pizza had a fluffy, yeasty crust that I enjoyed even though I had issues with the cheese sliding off the slice as I bit into it. It's key to good browning and crisping. He also suggested that chopping up some extra toppings and baking them onto the pizza would vastly improve the overall taste of this pie. The new European data protection law requires us to inform you of the following before you use our website: We use cookies and other technologies to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests. That’s where this pizza fell flat. Subscribe to our daily newsletter to get more of it. Instead, it came wrapped in plastic with a circular base made out of cardboard. Boasting no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, the Newman's Own pizza is made with a multigrain crust and topped with a four-cheese blend of mozzarella, cheddar, parmesan, and Asiago. How could a cracker support all the other ingredients? Visit Insider's homepage for more stories, chopping up some extra toppings and baking them onto the pizza, I tried the signature roast at 4 coffee chains, and there's only one I would never order again, I ate my way through McDonald's entire menu and ranked every item, We tried 6 brands of ready-to-bake cookie dough, and the winner was a classic. I chose to open the oven and intervene, but judging by the look of the final crust (which was rather puffy) the issue likely would have corrected itself during the rising phase. The sauce was blended with oregano, garlic and basil. This makes for an unpredictable pizza-buying experience, but that’s why we’re here to help! My husband said that, in terms of overall flavor, this pizza lacked the distinct "frozen-pizza taste" that the others had, and that made this his favorite of the bunch so far. 6. See our, Read a limited number of articles each month, You consent to the use of cookies and tracking by us and third parties to provide you with personalized ads, Unlimited access to washingtonpost.com on any device, Unlimited access to all Washington Post apps, No on-site advertising or third-party ad tracking. Information like cooking directions, ingredients, and nutrition facts were printed on a sticker attached to the shrink-wrap, which I accidentally threw away in my haste (and later retrieved). As one tester put it, “There’s a lot more going on here than pepperoni.” But what really pushed this pizza to the No. While the pizza was cooking, the side of it began sliding between the oven grates. And when it came to DiGiorno, our number two pick, the lack of cheese and sauce is what cost it the crown. We rely on readers like you to uphold a free press. When it came to our lowest-scoring pizzas, the too-thin crust was an issue for our testers. There were no faults to find with this perfect pie. I mean, you know the saying: There’s no such thing as bad pizza. To find out, I tasted frozen pizzas from five different brands: DiGiorno, Amy's, Newman's Own, Red Baron, and Tombstone. There is nothing quite like the zesty, spicy freshness of a homemade pizza. Many of our reviewers remarked that this is exactly what they expect from a frozen pizza, though that didn’t mean the pie was a favorite. 18 Things Polite People Don’t Do on Thanksgiving, 18 Star Wars Food Creations We Absolutely Love, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. And to keep things consistent, I prepared each in the oven, following the instructions found on the respective packages. I cooked Amy's pizza in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for just over 12 minutes of the recommended 14. Like what you see here? While the crust looked doughy and heavy, we were pleasantly surprised at how light it was. This pizza box advertises a four-cheese blend of mozzarella, parmesan, Asiago, and Romano; the same cheeses on Tombstone's frozen pizza, minus cheddar. Lisa is an associate editor at Taste of Home where she gets to embrace her passion for baking. Don't thaw. Any way you slice it, a frozen pizza is a frozen pizza–it will never taste like delivery. Overall, I enjoyed the thick crust of DiGiorno cheese pizza, which had a yeasty flavor and managed to be fluffy and crisp at the same time. By clicking “I agree” below, you consent to the use by us and our third-party partners of cookies and data gathered from your use of our platforms. To find out, I tasted frozen pizzas from five different brands: DiGiorno, Amy's, Newman's Own, Red Baron, and Tombstone. While we acknowledged that these wouldn’t live up to our top 10 homemade varieties, we also knew that a frozen pizza after a long day (or night) can really hit the spot. The cheese tended to slide off the pizza a bit as I took bites, but it had a lot of cheese and a thick sauce, which made up for it. The first thing I noticed when eating a slice was that the tomato sauce, which had an acidic flavor, dominated the overall taste. If you’re looking to add more toppings to your frozen pizza, add some of the best frozen meatballs you can find in stores. Looking for smart ways to get more from life? I couldn't help but hear the brand's tagline — "It's not delivery, it's DiGiorno!" I cooked and tasted frozen cheese pizzas from DiGiorno, Amy's, Newman's Own, Red Baron, and Tombstone to see which is best. This frozen pizza was a slumber party classic for many testers, but ultimately it didn’t taste as great as we all remembered. Take your frozen pizza to the next level with these incredible frozen pizza upgrades. And it certainly won’t taste as good as one of these 33 homemade varieties. Even so, I enjoyed the thin, crispy crust and salty cheese (of which there was a great amount). I was able to cut around the seal and simply lift the pizza out of the plastic rather than making strategic cuts across shrink-wrap to remove the frozen pie without disturbing the cheese topping and getting it all over my kitchen. (Well, they’ve topped out a few of our past taste tests! In the store, DiGiorno had a few different types of crusts available, but I went with the rising crust because it seemed the most standard. Best Authentic New York: Roberta’s Pizza . Read on to see how these frozen cheese pizzas stacked up. You also agree to our Terms of Service. A leading-edge research firm focused on digital transformation. The main factors to consider are the big three: sauce, crust and cheese — after all, those are undoubtedly the three main elements that come together to create the frozen pizza trifecta of perfection when done right. See our Privacy Policy and Third Party Partners to learn more about the use of data and your rights. The pursuit for good frozen pizza is not only purely nostalgic, though. Red Baron's pizza had a solid taste but was lacking in terms of appearance and I didn't like that it didn't have a distinct crust. Would the usual suspects–Tombstone, Red Baron and DiGiorno–prevail, or would choice options like California Pizza Kitchen or new-comer Screamin’ Sicilian be worth the premium price? And the pepperoni, which had a distinct caraway flavor, left us longing for even more spice. Out of the oven, you could tell straight away that the pizza was different than the rest: Diced tomatoes and generous flecks of basil dotted the pizza in addition to the pepperoni.