In this video, Dr. Christine O'Dea discusses the Canopy Learn Medical Spanish Course. These lessons cover pregnancy, labor, and delivery. Tara Bradley Williams has authored several Spanish textbooks and occupational Spanish reference guides, including the "¡A Conversar!" Thanks! Complete a medical history and physical exam, and discuss testing, treatment, and disposition with Spanish-speaking patients who present to the ED with common and fairly straight-forward clinical presentations. Learn more about Canopy Speak here! Then, you'll move on to pediatrics and explore words related to young patients. Whether you're new to the language or just want a refresher, this medical Spanish class can help you. Then, you'll move on to pediatrics and explore words related to young patients. ). Essential EM Spanish is the online CME course that will prepare you to confidently perform a complete H&P and explain testing, treatment, and disposition in Spanish. This course skips the "touristy" topics and focuses on the basic medical Spanish phrases you really need to know in a medical setting. Copyright © 1997 - 2019 All rights reserved. Unfortunately, children often interpret for family members who speak little English. Medical Spanish courses are the perfect solution. All rights reserved. Learn more about Canopy Learn Medical English. It was very helpful. Break down the language barrier and improve patient care. All rights reserved. Created by an ED clinician, Essential EM Spanish … A native Spanish speaker, Carmen has been working as a Spanish interpreter with emergency department and other hospital patients in Las Vegas since 2010. First, you'll discover how easy it is to spell and pronounce words en. of Emergency Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and Associate Dean of Diversity and Community Engagement at the Sidney Kimmel Medical College. Disclosure:  Carmen has nothing to disclose. La familia is central to Latin American life, and family members play a key role in a patient's medical care as well. What do you do if a patient needs your help, but you can't understand them? Why so important to learn Medical Spanish in 2020. HOW TO REGISTER: Use the “REGISTER/TAKE COURSE” tab on this page to login or create an account, select your price tier, and enter a discount code if applicable. Thank you for this excellent course! Finally, you'll delve into the Spanish vocabulary for common medical conditions. In the first lesson, you'll master the building blocks of Spanish. Will you still feel frustrated when you encounter Spanish-speaking patients? First, you'll discover how easy it is to spell and pronounce words en español. Choose from more than 15 languages: Communicate in Spanish… If health facilities had the right tools, then the wrong person wouldn’t be interpreting. of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. Course description This Medical Spanish - online Spanish course is designed especially for medical professionals and all those involved in medicine who want to extend their knowledge of medical Spanish.. In addition, you'll look at two interesting verbs that mean "to be:" ser and estar. As a bonus, the lesson will talk about words that'll get you out of a bind if you don't understand what a Spanish-speaking patient is saying. For each of the above sections you’ll learn all the Spanish you need to take a history, guide a physical exam, and explain your plan for testing, treatment, and disposition to the patient. (Let's go!). Patients are constantly coming and going—and that means it's a good idea to know Spanish words for admitting and discharging them! Powered by the EthosCE Learning Management System, a continuing education LMS. To help you master those verbs effortlessly, this lesson will introduce you to a super-simple conjugation system that uses only three tenses (present, easy past, and easy future). In this lesson, you'll start zeroing in on the medical Spanish you need to know. As a medical professional, not knowing a bit of Spanish, the instructor made it easy to understand and fun to follow along by using the stories of Hector and Maria. It was very helpful in my work as an RN. I feel that I was exposed to a lot of material that will help me when conversing with my Spanish speaking patients. Created by an ED clinician, Essential EM Spanish is organized around common ED chief complaints and clinical presentations. In this lesson, you'll learn a new set of verbs that will help you talk with patients when they're arriving or leaving. . In fact, 2 out of 3 misinterpretations have clinical consequences. What's more, adding Spanish skills to your resume can broaden your career horizons and give you an advantage over other healthcare workers. I'm still in the early stages of Spanish learning, and your approach, "Survival Spanish", emphasizing basic grammar/sentence structure and vocabulary learning, has helped me in ways I have not seen anywhere else. Medical mistranslations are common and they can be devastating. In addition, you'll look at two interesting verbs that mean "to be:", In this lesson, you'll start zeroing in on the medical Spanish you need to know. Most patients have routine symptoms and ailments, and in this lesson you'll add more words to your vocabulary for discussing these common medical problems. As the principal author of this course, he drew upon his extensive personal experience caring for Spanish-speaking patients in the ED. of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. You'll begin by taking a look at the parts of the body and learning the words for everything from. (*Students and EMS personnel may contact ceme@ceme.org to request an individual discount code.). In addition, you'll learn words for describing medical tests, treatments, and procedures, so you can inform and reassure patients receiving care in the emergency room. In this lesson, you'll power up your Spanish vocabulary by learning the words for colors and directions. A native Spanish speaker, Carmen has been working as a Spanish interpreter with emergency department and other hospital patients in Las Vegas since 2010. After learning about pregnancy, labor, and delivery, you'll move on to pediatrics and explore words for making your young patients and their parents feel informed and comfortable. There were serious moments, (those verbs), fun moments with Hector, Maria, and the Acostas and so much love with Javier and Pili. Disclosure:  Benjamin has nothing to disclose. In this lesson, you'll learn the Spanish words for those family members, and pick up some handy phrases for conversing with patients and their families. In this lesson, you'll learn the Spanish words for those family members, and pick up some handy phrases for conversing with patients and their families. TJU Medical College Provides Over 100 Medical Students with Hybrid Medical Spanish Training, Top Los Angeles-based Med School Serves LEP Patients with the Help of Canopy, Key Health Disparities That LGBTQ+ Latinx Community Faces. . Moving on to adults, you'll look at words for discussing cancer symptoms, tests, and treatments, and explore ways to assess the mental status of a patient. Enter your email or username and we'll email you a link to reset your password. In addition, you'll look at Spanish words for all those diets your patients love so much: low-salt, low-fat, low-cholesterol, and more! Just a wonderful, wonderful learning experience and I really did learn a lot. In addition, you'll look at Spanish words for various diets, and finally, you'll discover the little word ". " Essential EM Spanish is the online CME course that will prepare you to confidently perform a complete H&P and explain testing, treatment, and disposition in Spanish. The course also uses a variety of learning tools to maximize your convenience and cater to any learning style. This was the best foreign language class that I have ever taken! Check out the rest of the series, “I feel handcuffed”: Dr. Bernard Lopez offers his experience of language barriers in the emergency setting and gives his impressions of, Canopy Innovations, Inc., 3401 Mallory Lane, Suite 200, Franklin, TN, 36067, United States, USF-MCOM Trains Over 1,500 Medical Students with Medical Spanish Online Course to Enhance Diversity and Inclusion.