This notwithstanding, as the prophet realized, God was not in the earthquake; He was above it. But there are occasions when man must stand aloof, and all must be left to the almighty Disposer of all things. Rather the calming voice of God was heard by the prophet Elijah at the end of the troubling activities of these elements. It could lead to a deeper commitment to ministering and away from managing programs and good intentioned bureaucracy. Our God is great and glorious. Selah  Come and see the works of the LORD, the desolations he has brought on the earth. God’s answer is Jesus. And he moved about in absolute power. Dr. John Kobina Louis of the Archdiocese of Accra, Ghana. / God was, however, not in the storm, earthquake or fire. God’s people are commanded to “be still” in this verse. Fr. Amen. THEME: “BE STILL, AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD” (Ps. Cannot load blog information at this time. How often do we ask God for everything, but we dont stop to listen or to be still? Jesus took 40 days at the start of ministry to sit and fast before God, as he did many other times during his ministry. “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). What this means, though, is that you have moments in life. The word still is a translation of the Hebrew word rapa, meaning “to slacken, let down, or cease.” In some instances, the word carries … In the first place, the stormy wind is invisible and yet powerful and destructive. Copyright 2012-2019 Fr. Fr. God’s answer to your pain is a Person. Beloved, let us therefore not focus on or brood over our troubles; rather, let us focus on Jesus who has power and control over them. You can count on me; I’ll get it done. Psalm 100:3 Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 46:10) READINGS: 1 Kings 19:9, 11-13 / Romans 9:1-5/ Matthew 14:22-33 19th Sunday in Ordinary Time. John Kobina Louis PhD. In the midst of troubles and trials, can we remain calm? Thirdly, fire has a burning effect. Exodus 14:13, 14; 2 Chronicles 20:17; Isaiah 30:15).As a general rule, God requires man to cooperate with him. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. But mainly about stillness, because, like so many of you, I have been forced to be still by a national crisis that has shut down the place I work, closed the places I worship, and asked me to stay away from people and places other than my home. sickness) that causes us pains could be seen as a troubling spiritual fire. And if there’s nothing I can do actively, I’ll worry. Yes, we can if we know that there is someone around who has control of the troubling … You know my ways, Lord, how easily I can rush about in anything but stillness, trying to solve the problems of my life. God wants to talk to us, but we have to be ready and available to listen. business) or achievements, or any experience (e.g. Copyright 2012-2019 Fr. You know how much I need it. Verb - Hifil - Imperative - masculine plural, Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Imperative - masculine plural, gods -- the supreme God, magistrates, a superlative, Verb - Qal - Imperfect - first person common singular, Preposition-b, Article | Noun - masculine plural, A foreign nation, a Gentile, a troop of animals, a flight of locusts, Preposition-b, Article | Noun - feminine singular, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, OT Poetry: Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that (Psalm Ps Psa.) Let us, therefore, trust in the redeeming hand of God whenever we experience a spiritual earthquake. According to the first reading, the prophet Elijah experienced a great stormy wind and a powerful earthquake, and he saw a raging fire at the mountain of the Lord God (cf. But God-the-Living-Water can quench every troubling fire! 14:26). 1 Kings 19:11-13). Lived in the city for 30+ years, then moved to Franklinton, and was awestruck at the sound of nature and the stars in the sky. So, like Elijah, let us trust in God’s powerful protection and deliverance should any evil trouble us. He is in control of it! I find worry so much more natural, as if by fretting about something I could make it better. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Help me, dear Lord, to let go of my need to control, of my worries, of my fears. Knowing God is more than confessing to be born again, it's more than that. The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Very Rev. Ps 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. But I have never encountered anything like the current situation in which even zeal WITH knowledge won’t work. What the Lord wants you to know first before all other things is Himself. Rather, the calming voice of God was heard by the … When I get into that state of mind, I... For this restaurant owner, the point of suffering is to acknowledge God. Enter your email address to follow BCC and receive new posts by email. SelahCome, behold the works of the LORD,     how he has brought desolations on the earth.He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;     he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;     he burns the chariots with fire.“Be still, and know that I am God.I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth!”The LORD of hosts is with us;     the God of Jacob is our fortress. Today, the Lord God reminds us that He is Almighty and All-powerful, and so He has control over whatever may trouble us. However, in the midst of their trouble they, unlike Elijah, could not calmly trust in the Lord. Thus, Jesus told them: “it is I; have no fear” (Mt. Secondly, an earthquake shakes and breaks the ground and other things along its path. “Let go and trust God” is the sort of thing that people can say when they really mean, “don’t worry about all the bad stuff that is happening in the world, just do what makes you happy and let God take care of all the things that are going wrong.” For centuries, people have used such formulations as excuses not to do anything about real social and global problems. 46:10) Every resource on our site was made possible through the financial support of people like you. When all the noise is gone there is only God. Yes, we can if we know that there is someone around who has control of the troubling situation. When I face challenges or setbacks, even in doing work that I fully believe to be God’s … Selah. Theology of Work Project Online Materials by The High Calling are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Building a sermon to preach, for me, normally takes a week of thought on a matter. I have long admired this essay, and I have tried for most of my professional life to draw the necessary distinction between doing stuff and getting stuff done. As it turns out, I am catastrophically bad at being still. Something passes your senses that brings you back to a time in history and your mind recalls events and places and people, and you daydream. Question is, is my structure sound enough to support me when tested in these difficult times. Amen! But every time I try it, I think of something that I need to do, and until the desire to do it overwhelms me. As a matter of fact, however, they seem to have been addressed to the enemies of God's people, those who were making war upon them oppressively. Summary: Disasters, diseases, wars, threats from space, all add up to be a reason to panic. Can i, will i, put my trust, source of comfort, strength, and peace in the hands of my loving Heavenly Father, which can result in actually much more than “doing nothing” as the world defines “nothing.” Ugh! Published by The High Calling, May 25, 2013. We should worry about it, and that worry should lead us to . 19:11-13). The verb translated as “be still” (raphah in Hebrew) is a curious one. Thus, the ‘burning’ of our life-time savings (e.g. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! I was surprised and actually had to laugh when our pastor illustrated the literal meaning of be still. This means that however terrifying the storm, earthquake and fire were, God was in control of them. I share the challenge of stillness. “Be still, and know that I am God! Fr. I am hyper-social. When we are free from outside noise or … They were rather afraid. Psalm 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. Laity Lodge. It is the best way to protect our loved ones–and to protect millions of people we do not know. Melody and Twila (and peggy)–How Lucky We Are to Be Alive Right Now, Messages of Gratitude from the Desert (and for it, Sort Of), So is expressing gratitude, as LDS Church President Russell Nelson urged, healthy, or hurtful, during a pandemic? I will be honored by every nation. I’m the guy who gets things done, moves agendas forward, makes difficult things happen. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. PRAYER: Thank you, gracious God, for this verse from Psalm 46.